Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets have a place to discuss ethics!

I'm a bit tired of guys and girls thinking that the only sucessful hunt is where "we slaugtered them and all got our limits"...robo ducks, 4-wheelers, baiting, etc.

As a long time hunter now....42 years....I think we had all do what ever we can to protect yet promote this and other hunting sports!

Here in Michigan with the deer baiting and tree stand hunting allowed we have a couple of generations now that wouldn't know a deer track unless there is a deer standing in it!

On ther sites if you haven't or don't shoot your limit you're treated as an anti-hunter.

There is way too much testosterone flowing out here to keep our beloved sport safe. Ducks and other species are not, and let me stress are not, a resource that can sustain themselves without our hunting community taking great care with how we handle them. And do we need to give ammunition to the peta people and other anti-hunting groups?

[/b]

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
A day in the marsh beats a day at school hands down. I like being out and just enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells of the marsh. If I shoot a couple birds, then that is great if not oh well. One of the most memorable hunts I had no one fired a shot, but it was a great time with friends.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Here in Washington Baiting is illegal for just about everything I know of, we cannot use any motorized decoys and 4 wheelers are prohibited on most lands.

I will say that I have used my four wheeler to drag out sleds of decoys in the fields, I don't really see anything wrong with this?

I wouldn't hunt with anyone that is upset if they do not get thier limit. I have had many days where we got limits, but many that we didn't even get a shot off at a bird. Its the time spent with friends and family that makes it enjoyable, and just spending time with the ol brown pooch!

Mike

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Looks like I'm a little different than you guys. While I enjoy a good sunrise or sunset that's not the reason I drag my butt up out of bed at 2 am and head out into below freezing temps to fight idiots that are trying to beat me to a particular spot. I'm there to kill ducks. I try to shoot my limit every time I go out. I'm not stomping and crying when I don't, but my goal is to have a limit at the end of the day. I like duck meat and so do my friends/family. None goes to waste and as long as the Feds say I can shoot 6 ducks a day for 60 days you can bet I'll try my hardest to shoot 360 birds.

I believe that nowadays everyone feels they must say they're there to enjoy the scenery, to watch the world wake up, etc. The comradery and scenery are just an added bonus. I don't spend thousands of dollars a year on little plastic ducks, shotgun shells and gas to watch the scenery. I can fill the gas tank in my truck for $40, hit the road with a camera, and get my fill of beautiful scenery.

I am the third generation of duck hunters in my family as with a lot of families in Arkansas. It has been bred into me after all these years. I've been blowing a duck call since I was 4 years old, I do not break the law by shooting over my limit and I look forward to next year when spinners are outlawed in this state.

I am not some sort of slob hunter and I do not believe my ethics suffer because I want to shoot my share of birds the government has alloted me. There are 10 months out of 12 for me to love on the birds and help them out, but for 60 days I'll put the hurt on them. :thumbsup:

yeller

·
Registered
696 Posts
i feel the same as ol' yeller, ya, i love gettin out before sun up and puttin out the decoys, but when it comes down to it, im out for the rush of havin 10 green heads circling the spread or watchin a flock of snows mixed with canadas floatin down the landing strip waitin to catch some steel, ya, i could say im out for the scenery and listening to nature, watching scenery and listening to nature doesnt beat the heartpounding thrill of havin birds droppin their feet and cupping their wings, and i have ethics, thats my opinion

·
Registered
450 Posts
i'm with ol yeller. but i would classify him as a ETHICAL hunter. i really enjoy the reeds and the water and all the outdoors, but i really get excited when ducks are falling out of the sky. if i don't get a shot i'm fine. i still love it. i take the good days with the bad. (if you can call em bad). but i like the good days more.
i don't think all this goes against the original post. and i agree we need ethics in our hunting.

had

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm all for shooting ducks guys, that's why I also drag my sorry butt out in the cold and rain. I just hope by being ethical and hopefully by educating young hunters, I'll be able to do it till I can't any longer, and more importantly that my grandkids grandkids will also be able to!

I've been able to see the sky blackened by ducks and geese, and sat through the 3 a day limit seasons, I like the former a whole lot more!

As for four wheelers I say use them just don't abuse the terrain or others hunters right to enjoy the wilderness. Where I hunt in the upper penninsula of Michigan, it's great to be able to drag a big buck out from a couple of miles back. The only problem is once we did that a couple of times, people started to follow our darn tracks back into the areas we hunted.....our stupidity brought in guys like the one that shot in the dark 3 times to scare me away from a bait pile he had set up near my favorite spot! Ever since then I've become acutely aware of how much ethics in hunting has gone right out the window.

Nope, I'm all for shooting ducks deer pheasants and grouse. Gets my heart puping every time I see birds any where near my decoys, or a buck comin through the water......absolutely love it!

Good hunting and good shooting to all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts