Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm new here to the site and the sport!
gotta 14' v hull riveted fishing boat that I got for $50 with a 9.9 evinrude (yeah it was a good deal)

got a few questions that i'm hoping all you seasoned veterans would know what to do.

1. want to put some kind of blind on it. not much money looking to make it out of pvc and some of that camo burlap if possible. Ideas, plans please?!!

2. Also looking to find a way to run lights on the boat, or charge a battery. I heard there is a way to add a charging kit to my little outboard but have had no luck finding one. It's an evinrude 9.9 short. no idea about year,make, or model but looks and runs very well. if anyone knows about where how or what to buy, or if it is even possible! please let me know.

3. looking to paint the boat as it is blue (not a real good color for hunting) checked other posts and the krylon stuff seems to be the paint of choice, but that is as awful lot of spray paint, is there another paint choice that would be smarter?

4. looking to buy a new gun thinking about the rem spr 435, have an 870 but would love to upgrade! can't afford that SBE II (way tooo much!! but it would be sweet) the SPR got good revies and people seem to like it, but was curious as to what you guys thought.

Any feed back greatly appreciated!
thanks much fellas
Alex :wink:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here are some short but sweet answers:

1) PVC will crack in the cold weather use conduit

2) Get a hand held spotlight they are more dependable

3) I painted my 14 footer with krylon inside and out, only used 3 cans, total cost less than 15 bucks

4) Don't know about those other guns but the 870 is dependable

·
Registered
118 Posts
aftershox454 said:
4. looking to buy a new gun thinking about the rem spr 435, have an 870 but would love to upgrade! can't afford that SBE II (way tooo much!! but it would be sweet) the SPR got good revies and people seem to like it, but was curious as to what you guys thought.
Alex :wink:
Get a Winchester SX2. Never jam, and you can get them pretty cheap for an auto loader. Get one, and you'll never change your mind.
David

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I'm not sure how cold it gets in Spokane, so the PVC might not be a great idea. I did use PVC for my float blind, but it does not get bitter cold here in NC that often. I then got some of that camo netting from Cabelas and zip tied it to the PVC and made a couple pieces for roof cover too.

I like the Krylon paint. Make sure to rough up the paint that you have on now and put on a good coat of primer. (Make sure you clean the dust and dirt off first before the primer) I'm not sure how many cans I used, but it was more than 3...my boat is 16'. I painted the base coat tan, and then picked some reeds and johnson grass and used them as my stencils and sprayed green and brown paint around the grass/reeds. It turned out great!

Running lights are easy to install. And definitely get a spot light.

Finally the gun...if what you have is working, I'd spend my $$ on something else...maybe decoys or a call. But if you have to have a new gun, the Mossberg 835 Ultimag is a good gun and won't break the bank. I bought the Benelli Nova a couple years ago. It's camo and will take a beating and did not cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hey i shot an older (1965) rem 870 heavy duck gun most of the season and they are hard to beat. Bought a Rem 1100 at the end of the season, but didn't get to shoot it. That 870 is a really relieble gun. Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.