Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled the trigger on a new shotgun and will receive it this week. Looking for input from any other Fabarm L4S owners about tricks or little adjustments that will help with properly operating this shotgun. It has a few unique controls that make it different from the norm. Any advise? Thanks.

·
4,554 Posts
I had one, Very nice shotgun just not for me. Could not adjust the cheek slap out of it and I was not a fan of the bolt release being on the left side of the receiver rather than the right. I have shot a few and always end up with a sore cheek. Also the ones I seen had a hard time in the cold (below freezing temps) with target loads until they had several hundred rounds thru them. I hated to sell mine as it seemed to be a very well made and nice looking gun but it just did not work for me. The factory chokes do pattern very nice.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think the bolt release one the left side won't be an issue as I actually am a lefty shooting right handed so everything right seems a little unnatural and I have never had a cheek slap problem with any other shotgun so hopefully I can adjust pitch properly so it also isn't an issue. Good to hear the chokes work properly. Concerned about not working in the cold as I plan on using this mostly for waterfowl here in Idaho and it does get cold and guns get wet and lots of freezing going on. Hopefully the magnum loads will still give enough to do the job. How was the recoil compared to other guns? I currently shoot a Browning A5 (new version) and it is just beating this old guys shoulder to death.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I have and shoot a XLR5 without any problems , as I don't waterfowl hunt with it , YET, because I use it for clay targets
and on a few pigeon hunts , it runs Wally World 4 packs just fine . This gun has a easy to take out PLUG , which is , a rod under
the Mag Cap . These FAB Chokes shoot steel shot really good also but ( beware ) it doesn't take much constriction to throw a
very tight pattern with shot sizes up to #1's !

I certainly would think the L4S action spring being up-front would be a better design for a Gas Gun !

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The forward return spring system was part of what swayed me to purchase this gun sight unseen. Also the trubore barrel design appealed to me and makes sense. All reviews of these guns say they are of quality manufacturing and seems that light recoil is favorable (although I haven't heard any real world experiences stating this).
Is there anything stating how their choke labeling coincides to american choke labeling (ie- is modified comparable to their 5/10 choke etc)?
Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
This is interesting about chokes for the Fabarms tapered bored barrels as they measure .740 at the forcing cone after
the chamber they taper to .725 entering the choke tube , then , as what ever "you choose for constriction" the choke tube
is true to its dimension . So , they are like what they say they are , you'll just have to pattern them to see what suits your needs !
With mine I find the #2 to be more like a LM ( maybe a bit tighter) the 5 to shoot like a IM (.025) . These are with good clay
target loads and with Steel Shot , #2 throws a MOD pattern with 3's ,2's and 1's !

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
mtncntrykid said:
Pulled the trigger on a new shotgun and will receive it this week. Looking for input from any other Fabarm L4S owners about tricks or little adjustments that will help with properly operating this shotgun. It has a few unique controls that make it different from the norm. Any advise? Thanks.
I have both the L4S and the XLR5 Waterfowler and love them both. I too bought them sight unseen and really rolled the dice but made a wise choice in my opinion.

The L4S dropped some quail yesterday and the best thing about it is how light it is. I walked about five hours and it was an easy carry. The only trick I know is it likes to run dry and with no oil on the innards. That was one thing I learned with my XLR5 the hard way. You can get on Youtube and watch this video:
It is not for your model but is the same general concept of an action.

I hope this helps and hope it brings you many years of shooting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the link. Good stuff. So run them dry, nice to know. I will keep the link in favorites until I get some familiarity with hands on experience. I like the simplicity and being able to easily access the firing pin. Wonder why if he uses brake cleaner on the ports , why he just doesn't spray the whole cylinder assembly to clean all the residue off?
Glad to hear your gamble "sight unseen" worked out. Hope I feel the same way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually read the opposite, or something different on the lube.
On one site, when I googled 'bout problems with the L4S, the poster contacted Fabarm and the problem with ejection was easily solved by adding a little Rem Oil to the slides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts