Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience or know anyone who owns some? A lot of the places I hunt are long walks and I would like find some decoys that I can put in a backpack so I'll only have to make one trip. How durable are they, I know that those are what the Duck Commander uses. They look alright from the pictures. Any other decoys suggestions? I'm also thinking about buying 6 supermagnum G&H mallards. Needing a big water spread is no problem, I already have 4 dozen flambeaus, but I'm not wanting to use them unless I have to just because of the quality. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have never been brave enough to use them as of yet. They are pretty much made in about the same material as summer blow up water toys. I never figured they would last long in the buckbrush for us so I have never given them a try. For all I know they could be really good decoys, but never have taken the plunge.

Alot of the places we hunt are often a mile back into the swamp and that's a straight walk. We have always used the Feather Flex decoys and they work pretty good unless we get into a wide opening with the wind kicking up.
This next year I will be trying Greenhead Gear decoys without the keels on them. What I will be doing is taking the GHG line and making a knot in the end of it and sliding it in the keel slot and all of the way to the front. Attach a small weight to the other end, wrap the line around the neck and secure it with a rubber band. This will give me a realistic looking spread on the water that is fairly light and will move with the slighest breeze.
Another option would be the FUD decoys. They fold flat and you can carry quite a few of them. They don't flip when a small wind comes up either. They look good as well. Last time I was in our Wal-mart they had them for $8.00 for 6.

There's lots of options so you have to just try different things and see what works best for you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
My partner has some... the heads and necks look a little funny, but, we use em in flooded timber with no wieghts, as the walk in is tough. By the time they can notice the heads...they are bieng shot at. I say get ya some...they will fill out a spread nicely :thumbsup:

·
Registered
450 Posts
i've used them and they have worked for me. used them teal hunting with 6 of them on some back water. they move well in a breeze.

·
Registered
940 Posts
puddlerjumper if the area's that you are walkin' into are free of other hunters any decoy should do the trick just fine. I have done a few of those Bataan Death Marches & we used some of those Feather-Flex styrofoam dekes... not the inflatable ones. They worked awesome, plus you dont have to blow 'em up. :thumbsup:

I have also hunted over the F.U.D.'s with good results. :yes:

·
Registered
135 Posts
me and my huntin buddies have used them.....they work pretty good. they have the image of a real duck printed on them but their necks do look a little deformed, but like the othe guy said, when they get close enough to notice..it will be too late. but they are light and you can easily fit a dozen in a small backpack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use them all the time. Even set pretty good sized speads of them (5 or 6 Dozen). Love the fact that I can put that many deeks, me, my dog and a layout blind in my boat and literally go anywhere on any of the lakes round here. Use them alot in flooded timber, just throw out 6 or 8. They have a fantastic action in just the slightest wind. The geese are kind of cheesy and I wouldn't recommend them unless you are hunting some seriously gentically defective geese. The mallards and Gadwalls are great.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The mallard decoys are shaped funny but the teal ones work great. We've actually had hawks and owls swoop down and pick them up off the water. The plastic is pretty durable until it gets grabbed by a chicken hawk!

·
Registered
71 Posts
They rock,

I just bought a doz, after using a friends, I want some more, wish more people carried them. We packed into a place on the coast, man what a difference from using our GHG mag greenies, 1 doz of the Featherlites uses the same space as 2 of the GHG's. They look good on the water too. It would be cool if Cherokee made some feeders and sleepers too. We have a Wal Mart up north that had them for $15 for 6, but they ran out, no more till next fall, so I may order some, and I plan on getting some Pinnies too. I think the teal would be ok, but I bet they are kind of small, might make for good filler.

Anyway I was impressed this last time out, heavy winds, and they did fine on the water. Another nice thing, is the weights, I just clip on the cord and weight with a large fishing swivel, then just take it off and deflate, stuff in a back pack, wrap the cord on the weight, shove in a pocket then off to the truck.

I like them, they are inexpensive, and effective.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have some, great to mix in with the cheaper decoys that all look the same way because the inflates look sideways. Use them all the time love em.
Also keeps you honest when duck lands in the decoys..... lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.