Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
They make it. It is their flagship target hull just like the Win AA and Rem STS. You just have to shop someplace that has them. Where do you live? I have a pile if you are close you can get some to try. You can also buy them cheap. I posted a like a while back and there is one in the classifieds on shotgun world. Ned knows someone with good prices.

I don't think the top gun is the same inside, but I have not picked them up to see so I could be wrong.

Ned if you know post it up so we all know.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thaner,

I'm prob a 1/2 hour North of you. If not to pick up some hulls, I could prob come you're way some time to shoot the bull...

How did the small shot/dense pattern experiment go this fall?

Brian

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
When the weather breaks you should come down some Thursday night to shoot at my club or something if it works with your schedule or any other time you're in the area stop in. I get up to the Middleville area some weekends also.

Do you go to Schanz's tire and sports supply in Otsego? You should be close to them. Years ago now they were a little tire store with about the best prices around and Rick had an old house next door with reloading supplies, ammo and a few guns and stuff in the basement. We used to load up on stuff there all the time back when I and a bunch of my friends were heavy target shooters. He was the regional wholesale distributor or something like that in this areas for a bunch of stuff and sold to us for way below what you could find stuff anywhere. Now they have a sporting goods store built where the old house was, and of course more employees and stuff so prices are up, but they are still the cheapest around most days on most stuff. They have a lot of nice guns and all kids of reloading stuff. They are down a little now on steel shot and steel shot wads, but they have some and everything else you would want for reloading anything shotgun, rifle, or pistol. They are the cheapest around on lead shot, powder, and primers. They also have great prices on target loads and I am sure they would have Fed Gold Metal loads and probably Fed paper loads. That is the only place local I could ever find small steel for IN dove hunting and #3 Kent before I started reloading.

The small shot thing went very well. I just love my #4 duck load and #1 goose load. I also have a #3 duck and BB load for geese that shoots great, but didn't use many of them this year because the smaller shot was doing so well and we were keeping them close. The duck load is in a Fed GM hull and my goose loads in the 3" Rem hull. Those two hulls have been able to do great things with the RSI loads. I have a pile of AA's but don't mess with them as the GM works so well for what I want.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shot RSI 131 loaded with #2 steel after I ran out of Kent #1 steel in Sept. It was a force to be rekoned with on ducks, and geese too.

I did not get a chance to try it out on late honkers, my season went belly up at the end of October, when I shot my last 2 geese...

My X2 does not like the RSI wad, so it sat idle most of the year.

My holy grail is a load that will consistenly kill both ducks and geese to 40 yards, and fit into a 2 3/4" hull.

If the X2 liked the RSI wad, I would be close enough to the holy grail with RSI 131 and #2's

I used to go to Schantz's alot when I was not reloading. The past few times I've been there, I have not found what I needed as far as reloading RSI. They have a poor selection of steel shot.

Brian

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I like RSI 75 in my Rem's and it is basically the same speed and payload as 131 just a different hull. I have a bunch of Kent hulls saved up and plan to test 131, 132, and maybe 129 this summer. Have you tried 132, 129, or 133?

The RSI wad shot great in my Rem's and in my Benelli. I also shoots good in the Xtrema, which is overbored. I don't know if it is overbored as much as the X3.

I have never had much luck with #2 factory loads, but maybe in an RSI load they could work. I know my 75 loads pattern very well and if the #2 pattern like the #1's it could work okay.

I wonder why RSI 133 calls for a felt over the shot and not under. I was thinking maybe it was due to the 2 ¾" wad not keeping the shot in the wad, and maybe the 3" is just too long in the load. I am thinking I could cut 1/8" of a 3" wad and put the felt under and make that load work without an over shot felt. Sounds like too much trouble and I like to keep my 3" loads at or above 1 1/8 oz.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Your shot can be about 1/4" above the end of the shotcup. At setback it will go down into the cup totally. I'm using the old NTC shotcups for RSI shotcups in my 935. I shorten them 1/8" on the meat slicer as they are to long for STEEL propellant. Ned S

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.