Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Kent Fasteel #3's and #4's for ducks, BB and #1's for geese, all you need.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Goose bonker said:
Kent Fasteel #3's and #4's for ducks, BB and #1's for geese, all you need.
+100

If you want more range than steel will give you then go with Hevi, Rem. HD, etc. I have always been happy with steel and think Goose bonker hit the nail on the head with shot sizes.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I am a Kent guy also. The way I look at it is if I am going to spend 25 bucks on a box of shells I may as well buy Hevi-Steel and get some more density. That way I can drop 1 shot size but Kent #2-3's do most of my work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess I'm the dissenting voice here :oops:

I tried a box of Black Cloud this year (got it on sale for $15), and I love it. I went back and bought a couple more boxes. I was dropping geese in excess of 50 yards with BB, and it was too much. I dropped down to B.

Good stuff. :thumbsup:

- Jimmy

·
Registered
869 Posts
I tried a box of Black Cloud this year (got it on sale for $15), and I love it. I went back and bought a couple more boxes. I was dropping geese in excess of 50 yards with BB, and it was too much. I dropped down to B.
I did the same with Xpert HV this year, only got two goose hunts in, 8 geese, all hit the ground dead first shot. Just takes a bit of patterning to get a good even pattern. And two of them were a good bit out there.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
pennsyltucky said:
its just steel.... nothing special as far as density.
True, but they do not claim that. They are claiming it is all in the wad and shape of the FS Steel. I bought a box of it to try and like it ok. Don't think it is worth the money though.

I am a Winchester, Estate, and Kent guy... If you want something that shoots tight like the wad in Black Cloud is supposed to, buy an extended choke (Kicks or PM). The money you save on shells will pay for your choke pretty fast.

Just my 2 cents.

MM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts