Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
It took me a while to learn how to do it, I caint roll my tounge, but if you can I think it is that except slow it down, if not I just said ticka, ticka, ticka, as fast as I could, and eventually it just faster and faster untill it sounded like a feeding call, now I can add voice, and break it up a bit, cause ducks don't make that sound for a long drawn out pieriod, its about as long as three quacks I guess, hang out around ducks and just listen, that realy helped for me.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I am also having a tough time with the feeder call. I have been listening to an old school faulks tape and it says to say tuckituck over and over as fast as you can. I am getting better but still can't do it very fast...

·
Registered
59 Posts
IMO you don't need the double cut feeding chuckle. I usually do some single chuckles with some quacks to imitate ducks that are comfortable. Try saying tick-tick-tick into the call. With practice you will be able to do it faster and then start adding some quacks into it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have found it works better not to say anything into the call. Get a call that needs alot of back pressure and start to say ticket and once pressure is built up just let your tongue recoil off the back of your teeth

·
Registered
450 Posts
i have a friend that can do it real fast. but i can't. but i just use dug.....dug.. dug.. slowly. i mix in quacks my call sounds mostly like one or two ducks but it sounds like ducks i hear on the water. my friends sounds like a bunch of em. when we are hunting together i let him call it :yes: for me the hail comback and quack work good. i have never seen the feeding call make the difference.

had

·
Registered
135 Posts
My buddy (he's a bio) says hens really only make that sound when there are a bunch of them crouded around and she's agitated/

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
For the rolling feed call I just say "tica-tica-tica-tica". I believe in the musical world it's called double tounging. A lot of people say the rolling feed call shouldn't be used during hunting because it's the sound ducks make as they're flying over, but if you've ever listened to a large group of ducks on the water you've heard all of their feed calls join together for a few seconds to make the rolling feed call sound. Throw in a few short ticks and a quiet quack or two also.

yeller

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Until this year, i was also having trouble with the feeding chuckle. What really helped me was practicing almost every day and taking the time to listen to others and how they do it. I also throw a quack in there. This gives my toung a little break and im right back to the ticka ticka ticka

·
Registered
135 Posts
it sounds better with the quacks anyway. listen to Buck Gardner blow his rolling feed call its just amazing!

·
Registered
41 Posts
we im not saying that im great but if any of u want some help let me know u can email me and i will email back with phone NO. and we can call on the phone i have done this for a lot of my freinds, and have showed my wife and 3girls ,,, so just let me know and again im not saying that im the best ,,,,, but i have been to alot of call classes . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
195 Posts
The old "feed call" used to be done by trilling the tounge....then it moved to poping the air into a call using the words tika or tooka.....

Now here's a monkey wrench....I no longer use the quick paced feed call...why?......sit outside a refuge and listen to the birds heading out to feed....they are doing the call....not birds sitting on the water or field

Instead I use the word "duh" and use it in a stacatto fashion intermixing with single quacks.....

Works

1 - 14 of 14 Posts