Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually I am using the Wildwood Condition to Hold method which involves a Dowel or as I am using a 8" piece of Ax handle.

I put my 1 year old Yellow Lab (Willow) on the training table and attached her leash to the clip. I again as I have for the last 2 weeks put the dowel in her mouth holding her under the chin and telling her hold. As usual after just a few seconds she tried to spit the dowel and started fighting me. I worked with her for another couple of minutes to no avail.

I put down the dowel and unclipped her, I was petting her and giving encouragement when I inadvertently knocked the dowel onto the concrete floor.

She jumped down, picked up the dowel, jumped back up onto the table and presented it to hand with a look like, hey you dropped this.

I wonder who is training who????

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
Stogie said:
She jumped down, picked up the dowel, jumped back up onto the table and presented it to hand with a look like, hey you dropped this.
Thats a good sign that she knows what goin' on.
Do that (intentionally) a few more times and really lay on the praise.
She's pickin' up on what you want, so take advantage of the situation.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brydog said:
Stogie said:
Thats a good sign that she knows what goin' on.
Do that (intentionally) a few more times and really lay on the praise.
She's pickin' up on what you want, so take advantage of the situation.
Picking up is not a problem with her. Its getting her to take it from me and hold it that is taking work.

I think she needs more bumper work, retrives and such to better understand. I did not have her during the puppy stage to play fetch with her. But anytime she picks something up (other than when she picked up my wife's bloomers :oops: ) I have her sit and hand it to me and praise her for it.

But the pro says to hold off on retrives while conditioning to hold so I am listening to the expert.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.