Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started building pirouges and small boats. i fiberglass the outsides and tape the seams. but i have to use the fiberglass cloth and cut strips for the tape because i cant find it anywhere. :huh:

Does anyone know where i can get this stuff and tools to make it a little easier? :help: :help:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
USComposites.com is my primary supply place - they have a lot of options for fiberglass tapes, cloths, mats, resins, etc....

Bateau Boats is another place to check - they have a good deal on "Marine Epoxy" - about $45/gallon if you buy a 3 gallon pack.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Ditto on US Composites. Although I like to make all my own tape so I don't have to sand off the selvage with fiberglass tape.

Brad

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
cusportsman said:
how do you make your own tape Brad?
Easiest way is to rip a piece of luan whatever width you want your glass. Then just roll your glass out on a piece of luan (or something smooth you don't mind cutting into) and line the strip up with the edge, use a razor blade to cut the glass using the edge of the luan as a guide. Flip the luan and repeat...

Brad

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
mtduckhunter said:
hey Brad you got any other tips to help me? im new to fiberglassing and just done my second pirouge today.

i put the resin on with a 6 inch putty knife. any other ideas? :help:
Yep, try and get your first coat as smooth as possible. Just as it starts to tack up apply your second coat. Let these dry and sand out your imperfections, giving a light sand all over. One more coat should fill your weave all the way out.

As for applying epoxy, bondo squegees will work which you can pick up from any auto parts store. They are reusable, just pop the epoxy off once it drys. These are a little stiffer than what I prefer but will do in a pinch.

Best squeegees I've found come from here...
Bodi Co
I like the brown resin spreaders.

Try and make all of your edges a roundover, glass doesn't like to make 90 degree bends. If its an interior seam, use a little bit of thickened epoxy (w/wood flour) and a tongue depressor to creat a concave filet on the seam. Any places where the glass doesn't want to lay regardless of what you do, simply slice it with a razor blade to release the air underneath. Usually the glass will lay over itself resulting in no need to reglass this area.

Brad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.