Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too sure what kind of field duck decoys to buy. I've seen full bodies, windsocks, shells, silhouettes, etc. but I don't want to spend too much. I've been a water duck hunter my whole life but never hunted over land. Any advice is appreciated.

G

·
I never hunt fields just stick to the marshes and right now I am waiting to to go th season doesn't open tell 12:eek:o p.m. this afternoon and I am so ready just to jump in my waders and take the dog and go.
the duck commander

G

·
I hope this season will turn out for me the last one was outragous because I was surrounded and every time you get them to circle every one would blaze at them utting you all the way off. Some sportsmen it takes to hunt over another man's decoys using him to fill your limit.
The Duck Commander

·
Registered
27 Posts
so adivce use entizers for ducks while feild hunting there work very well. and for goose i would have to say big feet they r very expencize but trust me you wont regret buy just 6 of them and have another 2-3 dozen of regular goose shells

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I have used G&H Mallrds shells for many years to very good succes throughout the season. I also use a dz mallrd socks too for movement. It adds that realism of movement that is needed at times. Enticers are nice---but very bulky.

·
Registered
629 Posts
the enticers and the g&h shells are your best bet. the enticers are a lil big but they work along with that i use 2 to 3 mojo mallards and a few goose decoys

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sling a nasty spread of geese out there...if you can 20 or more full bodies and a few dozen shells and sills. Ide buy a dozen or so mallard shels and just mix them in sometimes otherwise stick them off o the side because sometimes the ducks shy away from being right smack in the middle of the geese. Good luck and cut um all!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I shoot most of my ducks when Goosin'. My spread is 3 doz bigfeet, 7 doz outlaws and if it's leagal a couple "Roboducks", if not then "Windducks". I have found that the ducks needs something flashy to get then closer. If necessary I'll mix is 2 doz outlaw ducks. If I can wear my bibs instead of waders then that's my first choice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use about 2 dozen bigfoot and about 15 dozen canada silhouettes and use robos or winducks to help attract the ducks to your spread. we also use some duck shells accasonally but i really dont think they help too much. basically use the black hole theory to get the birds to come to you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have always hunted over water. I was just wondering if you could like dig a hole the shape of the keel and put the keel in it. Or if the ground was soft just push the keel in the ground. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this or thought it would work.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
LtFH
Basically they are too low to the ground for far off ducks to see they in a field. Granted it is better than nothing. I have seen a cradle of sorts at Game Fair last year to lift up the h20 decoys off of the ground. Basically it is 2 U shaped with a bar across the bottom below the keel with 1 post going into the ground. All of metal. The U goes around the keel up to the bottom of the decoy. They were too spendy to buy -but if you made them up yourself it may be economical enough. Try using 1/8" alum rods welded, no rust, light weight, etc…

·
1,455 Posts
I bring my floaters out to the fields alot,just make a rut in the ground with my boot and put the keel of the decoy in.Works fine for me,if the ground is frozen I pull in some vegetation under the decoy to support it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Nest year Green Head Gear is coming out with some full body mallard decoys.... They have spent 2 years of carving and looking at pictures of standing ducks. These decoys should come out nor next season (05'). I don't hunt ducks over land at all. So If I do purcase any it'll be for the ice or and island. Hope this helps....

Mallyard

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hunt the cornfields only using 2 or 1 lucky ducks or a mojo . no decoys needed . I just use whats out there in the fields . an old trick taught to me by my uncle. :thumbsup:

Sure beats carrying all them decoys! :getdown:

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Walpole Island Hunter said:
an old trick taught to me by my uncle.
Being the spinners are a new invention--how can it be an "old trick" then? :tounge: But shells on stakes along with a spinner is icing on the cake :thumbsup:

BTW, I forgot to mention something on my post above. Another reason I do not use water decoys in the field is because the haeds are up. Whenever you see the heads up in the field-they are on alert status, when things are hunky dory- and bulk of the heads are down eating.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any of you guys hear about using mud sets? or mud pies? in the cornfield

Anywho even tho the mud sets work just fine for me I wouldn't mind getting some of thos Flambeau full body duck decoys . they look pretty deadly. :yes: :yes:

·
Registered
327 Posts
best thing to do is use ur water decoys just use ur foot and kick a lil hole to set the keels in.....it works well

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I use water decoys when I go in a field. They work good enough for me, because all of the over docoys like enticers cost too much and plus they can't tell the difference if you have a robo duck in the field too. What are they going to do look for some feet under them? They sit too low so they can't tell, and if they can you better be shooting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts