Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Ive got a good hunting dog that Ive gotta get rid of and if I was wanting to know what he is worth. He's a young chocolate lab, and hes very solid, he sits and stays. He is top notch at retrieving and listens well. I'm not exactly sure how old he is but I know he's gotta be around a year old. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
BlueDuck said:
Hi, Ive got a good hunting dog that Ive gotta get rid of and if I was wanting to know what he is worth. He's a young chocolate lab, and hes very solid, he sits and stays. He is top notch at retrieving and listens well. I'm not exactly sure how old he is but I know he's gotta be around a year old. Thanks.
If your not sure how old you must not have had him his whole life? Is he registered? When you say top notch, does he handle? Is he force fetched? Does he flush? Have you hunted over him? any hip and eye certs? Any gaurantee?

All these are important if you are going to charge much for this dog, if someone is going to pay big bucks for a started dog you want all this...I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if someone is selling a started dog on the board I want to help both the seller and the buyer...

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input Mike, Im not a pro trainer or anything like that so i don't know much of the terms you just used but I hunt with a veteran and he's helped alot. The dog does what I tell him to do, Ive hunted him all this season and he's gotten ducks in tanks, lakes, sloughs, etc. He's not registered. Basically what I am saying is, he does everything I need him to do, & I am not trying to make big bucks on him, a friend told me he got 1500 for a started dog, so i listed him as 1500. I have to get rid of him before i got to college, so the price is very negotiable.

Thanks,
Colby

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Fair enough Colby, good luck on finding the dog a new home.

Did your friend get $1500 for a started not registered dog? You might have a hard time selling him with no papers or anything proving health. How much did you pay for him as a pup?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I paid 200 dollars for him as a pup. Thanks for your advice, I didnt know papers mattered so much, I had no clue what he was worth, I just figured I'd put him on here because I wanted him to be used alot like I do. But if i can't much for him I think I'm gonna let my friend take him. But thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Blueduck,

Thanks for being modest and honest in your reply. To me, papers really don't mean squat, if you 100% know the dog and the history. Now when you buy a started dog from someone and pay big bucks for them, you want to know the history, the parents history, and you want a gaurantee.... My advise, is to give the dog to a hunter who will hunt the dog for the rest of his life!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.