Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have finally finished the pods for my 1436 Jon. I made them out of wood, filled them with foam and fiberglassed them. I also replaced the wood on the transom while I was at it. Only thing left is to finish the paint. I have not tested them yet but plan to on Sunday. I'll let you know how they do.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, gotta give some credit to Andysleds here. He helped me with them a great deal. Thanks bro. :thumbsup:

As for what they do: They are suppsoed to give you more lift in the rear of the boat to help you draft less water. Supposedly they will give about 4" lift in the rear and help plane out faster. I'll let you know if these theories are correct or not.

I did not weigh them but I think they would be about 10 pounds each.

·
Registered
752 Posts
What they did for me was A LOT!

I got my War Eagle 1754 last Feb. It came with a 75hp "Four Stroke" on it. The engine was so heavy and boat so lite that my stern sat very low in the water and my bow was pointing up. Consequently when ever I would go to take off I would experience severe bow rise and loose visibility to the front until I came up on plane. I couldn't come up on plane fast because I almost always have my dog in my boat with me. (He pouts if I take off without him)

The pods lifted up the rear of my boat approx six inches. I no longer have bow rise. My bow now cuts through the water as opposed to slapping it, and I can now access waters six inches shallower then before. In some of the places I hunt six inches makes a big difference. (KEEP IT CLEAN GUYS!) :fingerpt:

Other boats have problems with the water coming up over the transom on stops. The pods also stops that from happening. (I didn't have that problem).

·
Registered
407 Posts
SGM-DKHNTR- I have a 1754 Tracker Grizzly with a 75 horse and have been looking into pods. I wasnt sure how much lift I would actually get out of them because as you know a 75 horse is very heavy. Seeing as you are from Wa also, where did you get yours, and who installed them? Oh, and what kind are they if you did buy them from somewhere? Thanks alot!
Ryan

·
Registered
723 Posts
Boozer5: I am from texas but still got my pods from fisher-beavertail in Minnisota. Shipped in 4 days. with your weight situation get the large pods (same price). Pods are sml, med, or large for $325 & $25 shipping/ handling. Well worth it. If you live in that area they will weld them on for $65. I welded mine myself. The aluminum is 5052 and you weld with 4043 alloy.
Time and materials a person would loose if he were to build them himself. Unless you have access to the materials. Don

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the Kudos Chris(I was just messin with ya)

As far as build time....it is a lot! Materials, I would say around $200 (I am sure that Dropzone has a better estimate) The bonus with his is that they can be taken off. It was not an easy build due to the angles and lines of the boat.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tripleCBoykins said:
Can you post the dimensions of those please sir. I would like to build some.
They are 9" tall, the tops are 16.5" wide at the transom, and 18" long out from the transom. My suggestion would be to not use my demensions but to design your own to perfectly fit your boat...that is what I did. Make a line all the way accross your transome 8 or 9 in. from the bottom. Then take a utility square and put it on that line with the other side sticking straight out and slide it towards your motor until the part that is sticking out from the transom hits your motor. Back up the square 3/4 in and mark that spot on the line you already drew. This will give you the correct width at the top of the pod. Use the square to make a line straight down from that mark to the bottom of the transom. Now you have the pod drawn onto your transom. Just figure out how far out from the transom you want the pods to be and you have it... This way your pods will match the axact angle of the side of your boat. If you order them, they are a standard shape and may not match the angle of the side of your boat. You can also have a welder make them out of alum if that suite you better than wood/fiberglass. I put 2-3 layers if biberglass on the outside and 1 layer on the inside of each pod. I also attached 1.5" angle iron to the inside top and bottom so that I could weld the bots from the inside so they would not turn when I tightened down the bolts. Once they are enclosed there is no way to get back in there and fix something so just make sure you build them like a tank. For each layer of fiberglass I put 2 thick coats or epoxy. I can stand on these no problem and I weigh 200 lbs. I can also grab the bottom of one of the pods and pick up the back of the boat AND trailer completely off the gorund. Another note (I learned from Andysleds)...do NOT use Great Stuff foam...it will continue to expand when it gets hot. Use the 2 part marine expanding foam. I got all my epoxy, fiberglass and foam from US Composites (www.uscomposites.com). Measuring and designing your own pods will allow you to make them as big as possible and make sure you get the best possible fit. I have a lot of hours in these and if I had to do it over again, I might consider having someone else make them out of aluminum...but I would not buy the standard ones...I am a perfectionist and wanted them to fit perfectly. As far as cost...I have about $140 invested in materials but Andysleds and I already had all the wood...and I used some of his epoxy, fiberglass and foam so $200 would probably do it for someone starting with no materials. Check out Fisher Beavertail's sight to get some info on them. You can gather some good info there for design and installation. You can also buy the standard shape pods there as well if you don't want to go to the trouble of designing and building them yourself. Sorry for the long post but hope it helps to answer some of your questions.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NCBsk8a910 said:
Man look at those fancy things!!!! Now how many times you gonna change those before there just how you like ummm :rofl:
You know me well. :rofl: If they are anything like the blind that took 3 renditions to get just right I'm in trouble cause these will be nearly impossible to modify. When are you gonna get your ass back down south where you belong???

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The test run is complete and the results are in...

They met my expectaions but my hopes were dashed. They did lift the rear of the boat about 3" which will help in shallow water situations and they did get the bow down a little when running full throttle, however this was never a real problem. They did help a little for stability but it was minimal and stability was never much of an issue to begin with. There were no leaks in the transom...thank god cause I drilled 13 extra holes in it, at or below the water line, to moount them and replace the wood on the transom.

As for my hopes...I was hoping to gain a LITTLE spead but that did not happen. As it was without them, I get about 20 MPH full throttle with 2 people, dog, battery and no gear. I get the same with the pods.

All in all I am pleased. I will be able to get into shallower water without churning as much mud. I think a few more tests may tell me a little more...such as gas mileage and how much of a difference they make with more weight in the boat.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts