Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was your first call when you learned to call?
Single or Double?
Are you still blowing the same type of call or have you moved to another type(double to single, single to double)

Mine was a Haydel's. since then ive gone to Single Reeds and never goin back!

· Registered
1,401 Posts
Still learning,

but it was a lohman Bill Harper promodel 400 single reed I bought back in like '88 or '89 I still have it. It was a single reed but came with a kit to switch to a double or a lighter reed. It was kind of neet because of that i always blew it as a single though. I practiced for years with that call, and killed a lot of ducks too. I also started learning a little about how to cut a reed.

Bret

· Registered
196 Posts
A Faulks double reed back in the late 60"s.......cost me 3.99...that was a fortune for a 10 year old...they still make the thing, but now it's 7.99.....I blow singles almost exclusively now....

· Registered
598 Posts
2 actually. Bought them at the DU festival in Memphis when I was about 7 or 8. A RNT single reed and double reed. They have like a camo pattern on em. I still got both of em and they still sound pretty dang good. It was $20 for the 2 calls, lanyard, and a cassette tape. Now I mainly use single reeds.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
PS OLT 66. It took a lot to blow that call, but it sounded nice and deep and raspy. I actually gave the call to my little nephew. Pretty cute to see a 1 1/2 year old little boy in camo running around the house quacking....

· Registered
697 Posts
Hmmm, my first call. That would be a sure shot model 650 mallard. It's a double reed and costed me 6 bucks. I still use it and kill ducks over it consistently. For a while, I thought you had to have expensive, well, more expensive calls to kill ducks, that is not true. I still use this call and it is my favorite over my RNT or my H.S. I just bought a haydels vtm 90 variable tone mallard. It is right up there with my 6 dollar call, man that doesnt sound like much of a good call then, lol. It sounds pretty ducky, and I'm a sucker for cheap calls.

· Registered
64 Posts
When I was 12 I went to a calling seminar for kids at the wings over the prarie festival in Stuttgart, AR. I got a hand turned Rich n Tone coca bola single reed from Butch Richenback himself. 18 years later I still have it, but it's on a shelf. Several cork and reed sets have gone into it and it still blows perfect today. :salude:

· Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
quackkiller, I think i might have that same single reed your talkin about. My father had that call and i was wondering where it came from. I knew it was a RNT and i thought it was pretty old. Always saw it as an interesting call.

· Registered
63 Posts
a wooden faulks. thank for reminding me. i just took it down for the first time in years. still sounds pretty good. ill have to take it with me for opener this year, only 200 and some days away.

· Registered
28 Posts
I went on a splurge when i learned to call when i was like 10... Im now 16 and i still use the Haydel's DR-85 and the Primos Timber Wench/Original Wench which are the three that i can remember having over the last 6 years. Oh, i had a big river game call... dont remember the name but it was alright untill i dropped it in the mud :( Once i touch a calls read it never goes back to the same :'(

· Registered
801 Posts
I started out about a year ago with a cheap H.S. Pro Series Double Reed. My current favorites are a Yentzen Double reed or my new Daisy Cuttter. I don't really have a preference and don''t plan on getting any more calls any time soon :help: If I do it will probably be a single reed though.

· Registered
941 Posts
My first call was a Soundermon 66 by Olt... I bought when I was 12 for $9.00 @ Gibson's... I'm 41 now & it's now on a shelf with some others. :smile:

I hunt with a single reed call made here in TX by Mike Barnett of AC Outdoors called the "Hootchie Momma". I have 2 of them, one is Cocobola & the other is an Acrylic... they're the only calls on my lanyard. :yes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.