Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
yeah plain, i think between 7-10months is about the time for a female's first heat. gsp is right, lots of exercise might delay/prevent her from having one also. if that is the case, you may want to verify the dogs age because you can usually set your watch by their cycles.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
GSP pretty much has the goods on it. It will happen real soon though.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
this is absolutely a possiblity. you should notice a lot more licking than normal though. but anything is a possiblity. it really depends on the amount of work she does.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
she's active, but by no means do I run her into the ground. I take her out in a.m. for 1/2hr of exercise, a few fun bumpers and a little obedience. She is in her crate most of the day while I'm at work, and then out for the evening. We do about 1/2 hr of training every evening and go for a walk (1-2 miles) every couple of days. Could that be enough activity to make her miss her heat? A few weeks ago I noticed that male dogs were interested in her rear end more than usual but there were never messes in the house like I've seen when other dogs are in heat. Maybe that was it.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
that doesn't sound like too much activity. the dog comment about her rear-end hits the nail on the head. i believe you just missed it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey, no problem. I've been working her fairly hard about 3-4 days a week, with one day a week being a good 2-3 hour river hike. She's been licking more than usual but haven't noticed any mess yet. Isn't there always blood before she'll be receptive?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
You both could have experienced a Silent Heat too. Very scary because they can still get pregnant, but you don't know to keep them away from males. Here, I pulled this off another site:

During a silent heat, there are little, to no signs. No discharge, very little to no swelling of the vulva, etc. It's common for their first heat to be a silent heat. A few clients have come in because their bitch is "acting pregnant", only to find out via ultrasound, she is. Clients are amazed every time because they never knew she was in heat, so didn't bother to seperate her and the male. Just watch for excessive licking, odor, etc. The only other way I know you can tell for sure, is have a vaginal swab done to check for cells. Hope some of this is helpful.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
no prob, harvey. glad i could help.

plains, there isn't necessarily always blood. i think gsp hit the nail on the head. as a rule of thumb just look for swelling and licking. those are probably the best indicators.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
plainsman,

I don't know if you are trying to throw a litter now, but it sounds like your pup is only 11 months old. From what I've heard and read you want to wait until your bitch is at least 2yrs old before their first litter. I think it can be hard on their joints if they have a litter at a young age. Just a thought

-Matt

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
harvey brings up a good point. it's not very good for the dog to breed on her first heat. it can cause several problems, a couple of which harvey mentioned. by the time the 2nd heat comes around though, your dog should be fine if you are in a rush. i personally would wait until 3 years old or more.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I had a black lab female that had been rescued from an abusive owner, she was about a year old when I gave her to a buddy of mine. He wanted to use her for work, Law enforcement drug dog. He asked me if I had noticed if she had ever come into heat. I had her for around 6 months and she had not come into heat. Well anyway, he took her to his vet to be fixed. To his surprise and mine, she was a female on the outside but had male sex organs on the inside. A hermaphidite. The vet said that would explain the no heat. He also said it was only the second dog like it that he had seen in over twenty years of being a vet. I have alot of other dogs and they acted different around her. I guess they sensed something was def. different about this girl. Just some food for thought.
:salude:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.