Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought my first shotgun (Rem 870 Express Mag). I wanted to get a versatile gun that I can use for both turkey and waterfowl. I'm new to hunting and would like to know what you think about this purchase. Also, should I change choke tubes when hunting different species or does it even matter?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
You probably got just the Modified choke with the gun. It's probably the "all-around" choke-kind of "jack of all trades, master of none." Generally speaking, you need more choke, up to full, for turkey and a looser choke for waterfowl. The different choke tubes are available as original manufacturer equipment. There are also a bunch of after market chokes that some guys swear by. I have the manufacturer chokes for my 870 and have never tried the various ones like Kick's, etc.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
In the past the 870 express forcing cones were very rough with excessive tool marks. Honing the cone , not polishing, will improve patterns dramatically. I have honed 7 barrels for friends. You can buy 1/2" hones at any Auto part stores for about $10. Use WD-40 as cutting oil. The Rem Mod choke is a great all around choke. I like extend Light Mod for ducks and extended ImpMod for geese. Ned S who has 4 Rem shotguns but shoots a 935 and Condor mostly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Rem 870 combo of mine shown on the "Steps to painting a shotgun" thread has been a workhorse and has yet to fail once in any form. I'm only painting it because it's been thru the mill and was starting to show it cosmetically. I bought that when I was 22 (1990) and that was so long ago already that the 870 Express Mag series only took 2-3/4" and 3" shells at the time. I've often wondered how many shells (and $$$ in shells) have been spent in that gun. It's got 7 or 8 deer (I hunt rifle zone first weekend), 6 gobblers, and an untold amount of geese, duck, pheasant, grouse, quail, dove, squirrel, rabbit, and a few gophers that thought they could hack at my lawn. It's a one stop lead shop.

·
Registered
129 Posts
For turkeys, thast Modofied choke ain't going to cut it, get a Jellyhead or Carlson's extended turkey choke. For duck the modified will work. Probably better with smaller shot like 2's or 3's.

BPShunter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.