Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I've heard allot and read some about flagging...is this a good technique to get birds attention afar, if so, how do you construct one...employment techniques? All info is appreciated and welcome. (By the way, I hunt almost all ducks, if this makes a difference)

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I wife made me 2 2'x2' black duck cotton flags for goose hunting I have never heard of them being used for ducks or even wonder what color they would have to be. The once place we hunt the ducks seem to come over the tree and plop in the middle of the dekes before we even know they're coming and have to shoot at them on the way up.

We did use the flags the day before thanksgiving and had geese all over us. We divirted the first flock and they all seemed to follow the one before. We limited out at 5 each in an hour.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I think it would be pretty hard to use a flag to effectively wave at ducks....just because you are on land or in a blind and not in the decoys where it would be natural....but I definitely use a black flag when seaduck hunting!!! It is a real need on some days when the scoter are not passing right by the set-up....I will sometimes flag right up until the shot gets called. Very effective!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have hunted out of a layout boat and flagged ducks. You actually can have divers come right in after flagging. Scoters are probably the dumbest bird flying (Except maybey a Cormorant) and routinely fall victim to the flagging method. Good luck......Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.