Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We hunt alot of open water in the lake around here for canadas, the only problem is that we have plenty of wind almost every day of the season and have a really tough time keeping canada floaters in place. Bad enough that we usually wind up tying rocks into the riggin. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
25,344 Posts
How much weight are you using? I had a 20+ mph wind blowing this past season and my dekes' didn't move. I use either 4 or 6 oz pyramid sinkers. Maybe it's the bottom hanging up the sinkers and it's not the weight that's holding them in place. I would make sure your anchor lines are longer so they aren't pulling straight up and down.

Ever try to pick up decoys in a rowboat, by yourself with a 20+ mph wind. It took me forever to pick up less then 3 dozen decoys. Every time I stopped rowing to grab a decoy, I ended up 20 yards down wind of the spread.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im using 8 ounce strap weights folded into a j and 8 ounce mushroom weights, in 3-4 ft of water with 9 ft of cord on the riggin. most of the problem is that the lake is all red clay and next to none of it is mushy. so theres really no way to make the weights "stick" to anything.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We have had decent luck with using two regular straps. You can put them in soem good shapes before you throw em out there too. Grapple anchors will eat your dekes if not stores carefully, but if you want you can anchor one goose with a grapple anchor to tie a boat off to...... :yes:

Remember a lot of what anchor will work depends on your bottom composition. I also find that it helps to leave some extra slack line in the wind. The bow in the line absorbs shock from the waves so they are less likely to break free, but only when the wind is strong enough and constant enough to keep the decoys apart and the lines invisible.

SpinnerMan- you should try the drift through technique. Position the boat upwind of your spread facing up the middle of it, and stick a decoy hook off one side. If you get good you can snag 4 on a pass. I consider myself the master of flat bottom boat maneuvering in howling winds. fun stuff.

·
3,310 Posts
They make bag anchors for Jet skis and similar water craft. You fill them with rocks, sand or what ever and you have an anchor. Get a couple and change to 4 to 6 clips per line and make long line drops for your decoys.

Just a thought and no heavy anchors to carry.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
mystic99, do you use waders when you are putting out the decoys? If so step on the weights to sink them in the clay. If you are setting them from a boat, make a pole with a sort of cup on the end to hold the wieght, and stick the pole with the wieght on the end into the clay bottom and pull the stick back out and the weight should remain in the clay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts