Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the top of the line or best in your opinion, floating gun case would be. I saw one I think was called in-line for 69.99. I want a floating watrerproof one that is heavily padded so I don't have to worry about tossing my gun around a little bit. Thanks

KDS

·
Registered
33 Posts
Final Approach makes a Floating gun case and i think it is around $65
You can't go wrong with Final Approach Gear. I just ordered a FA floating blind bag and i can't wait for it to get here.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
The price is right on that Mad Dog for sure. I have a Mad dog roll top gear bag where I keep my extra gloves and jackets and such. Used it 3 years now--no holes or anything yet. A good product from my experience. So if it is the same PVC outer, it should hold up well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
The concern about a pvc outer is it does not breathe to let moisture out though... Meaning say it is raining and you put the gun into the case, will not the moisture then be trapped in the case then? How can it dry out???

I have Avery floating cases, very happy with the new model, the older one slips the flap, at least the new one was corrected. Frankly it is about the only thing Avery that I have been happy with. They are batting 2 for 6 with me with their products. :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wouldn't want it to dry out in the case, I use my case for transportation only, i pack some paper towel in my blind bag and do a quick wipedown, to keep the case somewhat dry. when i get home i open up the case end and it dries just fine, just put it in some heat like your living room where your wife can look at it and enjoy its splendor, where so that the hydrogen-bonds in the water can turn to a gas and go out into the air.

the outside iti is imperative that it be some sort of vynl or other type of non absorbing material, i have one with the nylon shell, and it gets wet and when you pack it in your trunk it gets everything else wet.... AVOID absorbing materials, and for heaven's sake do not leave your gun in it's floating case, have a seperate one at home or a safe or someting just not a wet case.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just got an avery one for $25 at cabelas looks great and it fits my semi auto better than $60 Kolpin that i have. The kolpin is good but not for a semi auto.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ive got an uncle mikes floater in max-4 i picked up from a local sporting good store for like $20. (they miss marked it...hahaha steal) It has worked great so far and keeps the gun dry. Putting the 870 back in it wet is another story but just opened it up and set next to the fire when i get home and dries fine (my mom loves all my camo gear lyin around!). Floater bags are nice but still treat the gun with respect and dont just through it in the water just because.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Just got a DU one for my b-day, made by Avery with velcro closure and fold over velcor strap. Has a pouch and shoulder strap with nice padding. Looks very well made. I was wondering how well it keeps water out when in the rain and how well it dries out. Does it really float with a heavy gun it and on top of the water or just floats at the surface?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'll put my 2 cents in for the mad dog. It's a heavy duty pvc outer shell with lots of padding on the inside, an adjustable, non slip shoulder strap and an outer pouch for choke tubes or something else. It's seen a fair amount of abuse this year and has held up fine. It has a DU emblem on it. Don't know what the significance is of that. I got it at Sportsman's Wearhouse for $20.00.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can attest to the mad dog floating case. I sunk last season in 6ft of water and to my amazment my gun floated out the boat. Picked it up and it was dry. I wish I could say the same for me I had a wet ass.

·
Registered
883 Posts
:withstupid: :salude:
DU Avery in max-4d, great case.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
hee hee :withstupid:

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've got one made by Arkansas Decoy Co. (don't know if they are still in business or not) I got it about 8 years ago and it's still holdin up like new. It's really nice. This was back before I knew about Avery though, but if I were gonna buy a knew one today, it would def. be Avery. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.