Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I 've hunted ducks around the lake Okeechoobe area . If you are interested in hooking up let me know. I live in the Fort Lauderdale area and will be hunting in Lake Harbor this coming up weekend (29th-NOV ) and I can take another member in my party.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i hunt near Tallahassee, lake Miccosukee

Every now and then a Cane fan flys by and we shoot them, but they are hard to knock down because of all the gold chains give them protection :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jduckhntr, I recently moved to here to Orlando from Louisiana, and I haven't had a chance to scout any duck hunting areas yet.
Can you tell me if there are areas in the Merritt Island WMA were I can paddle in with my pirogue (ie I don't have a motor boat) and get to some nice duck hunting areas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
GatorDuck, have you ever hunted the Hickory Mound impoundment area just South of Tallahassee? if so , how and what type of ducks have you shoot or seen in that area?

·
Registered
8 Posts
noway said:
GatorDuck, have you ever hunted the Hickory Mound impoundment area just South of Tallahassee? if so , how and what type of ducks have you shoot or seen in that area?
years ago i hunted it, and it was great, lots of big ducks, but the dam blew out or something and i thought it was closed?? Is it open again?

·
Registered
15 Posts
By the state's website yes. I thought about making the 400miles plus trip up north to just check it out and see what it has to offer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any of you guys ever hear about a place called Walpole Island? , it's in southern Ontario, Canada the hunting up here is pretty good ..anywho yeah Just wondering..... I've seen some hunters from Florida up here last year for opening day. :cool:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Gatorduck, are you alittle hurt by the last 5 years of Huricane dominance? :getdown:

Go Canes :mrgreen:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hunt the St. Johns (Volusia, Seminole Co.) and from the looks of things
due to back to back hurricanes and another on the way i'll be huntin in someones cow pasture.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm currently on OK, but I'm a FL native. Lake Amonia is a great spot, you can build a blind and each year add a llittle to it. Ducks are usually pretty good there. It's been a couple of years since I've been there but my old hunting buddies there say the water is up real well this year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i hunt phosphate pits in polk county dec.-jan.; have hunted missouri, north dakota and walpole island; all are weather dependent but you cannot beat walpole for variety of divers and puddlers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
jcomar1 said:
Jduckhntr, I recently moved to here to Orlando from Louisiana, and I haven't had a chance to scout any duck hunting areas yet.
Can you tell me if there are areas in the Merritt Island WMA were I can paddle in with my pirogue (ie I don't have a motor boat) and get to some nice duck hunting areas?
I'm sure that you have figured it out by now, but several areas are designed for walk/paddle-in hunting. In fact some are closed to engines. There are several zones in MINWR, and their closures and permit requirements vary yearly. Permits are $15 daily, but are only required for some areas. You have to call in october to reserve them, so don't delay. . The refuge is only open to hunting Sat, Sun, Wed. Area 1 would probably be the best bet for paddling in. You have to cross a deep canal about 10yds across and then it is very shallow (walkable). For more info, check out http://www.fws.gov/merrittisland/

Final note, get there early, because of the limited dates, this place fills up early. The hardcore guys are in the best blinds hours before first light just to reserve them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Have hunted PCS, Seminole, Orange Okechobee and the ST. Johns river

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
John...

Good to see you posting eh

Hows Canada treating you?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts