Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just venting, been active duty for 18 years and have had the opportunity to fly often. Haven't flown since 9-11 so am a little out of date on what you can and can't take on the plane. Still a little perturbed at the fact that the same airline at different airports can be so different. I flew to Al. this weekend and had to throw away my toothpaste, shaving creme and shampoo. NOT an issue. They left my fingernail gear in the bag, (scissors, file, toenail and fingernail clippers) along with a bottle of foot spray and cologne. I get to the return flight and go through security for the same airline but different airport and they tell that I can't have the cologne or foot spray unless it is in a ziplock bag. Still nothing about the fingernail gear. I have all this stuff in a carry on because I will only be there 1 1/2 days and don't need to deal with baggage claim. I go outside to smoke during a layover and have to bring my bags through the security and now they say that the fingernail stuff has to be comfiscated. Now I understand (probably more than others) about Homeland security after 9-11, however, this was the same airline at three different airports and no one there was on the same sheet of music. IF you are going to enforce regulations I would think that you would at least know all the regulations and/or attempt to catch as much as you can. All this gear was together in an hygiene bag in the same pocket and they did selective disposal. Really frustrating to have to be stopped and inspected on three seperate occasions and something different being taken each time.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I hear your pain. Airport security is kind of a joke. I remember flying to Canada a year or two after 9-11 and I had a pocket knife in my carry on. I remembered right before I went through security, so I ripped my bag apart looking for it, but couldn't find it. I went through security, they searched my bag, nothing. I got stopped randomly past security, searched, nothing. Flight home was searched as well. I think in the end I was searched a total of five times. When I went to unpack my bag at the end of the trip, I open a side pocket and the knife falls out! What I don't get is that they knew I had it - they could see it on the baggage screen - they just gave up when they couldn't find it right away.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We were flying to AZ for vacation/birthday party. I had 2 gifts neatly wrapped in a extra luggage bag. Get off the plane in AZ, open the bag up to find wrapping paper all over and everything unwrapped. Come on now, they have all this high-tech security and all. Sad because if they shook it, they would have known it was a box of Legos.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Used a old backpack as a carry on when me the wife and kids went back to KS. I had left a 10" fixed blade hunting knife in one of the front pockets. Went through security boarded the plane about half way through the flight she was looking for something in the bag. She grabs me by the arm scares the crap out of me. I woke up and was was like what and she says real quiet look. Yep talk about pucker factor, thought I was going to jail. Needless to say it went back under the seat and didn't mess with it till we got off the plane.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One thing to remember is that which airline does not matter. the security checkpoints are run by TSA. And I agree with the inconsistant enforcement or lack thereof.

You want really screwy? try packing all your stuff in Beijing, CH to return from business trip. You have to go thru a special line for people going to USA. and they follow the EXACT letter of the law that they are required to by our government. Then you get to Chicago, have touched nothing and your bag's all screwed up and you are forced to throw things away.

Or the ultimate slap in the face - You buy a bottle of whatever liquor at the duty free in Shanghai or Beijing (any airport really) and are given it when you get on the plane. The killer comes when you get to Chicago. If you do not have room in checked baggage, take the time to open checked bags and repack everything, you will lose the bottle. WHY? Since you are forced to go outside to catch train to domestic terminal, you must pass back thru security and no alcohol allow. Trust me it cost me a $100 bottle of Dewars.
Dumbest thing ever.

I could go on for hours on the stupidity displayed.

Later,
Lance

·
Registered
80 Posts
Trying to get back to Kansas City from Moscow, Russia went through security got bump from flight sent back through security but bumped from next flight sent back through security told you will not get back to the US for three days. Finally got a hold of an English speaking Delta employee at the airport got put on a flight to New York City and was never so happy to be on US soil.

It was a long trip!!!
Brandon

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
If we had armed pilots, the four planes that were used as flying bombs on September 11, 2001 might never have been hijacked. Those 19 terrorists would not have caused the entire airline industry and all passengers to go through this grief every day.

Wouldn't it be logical to trust the people who have the lives of everyone on board their airplaces with a handgun?

Tom*

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Your fishing for people to put on your list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.