Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I buy this foiles S/M/M/ call on tuesday of this week and the thing constantly freezes up on me? Whats the deal? anyone have this problem? I spend $125.00 on a piece of crap, can/should I take it back? I am very upset with this call. Any help or thoughts would be great. Thanks :help:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I feel your pain!!! I've got one too and it does the same thing....sticks like glue!!!! Some people will tell you to send it back so it can be worked on, personally, I'm just going to buy a couple of calls that I'm sure won't stick and sell the SMM. Want to buy another one for your collection???? :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, no Thanks. I can't believe a duck call can be that much money and the call constantly locks up. I guess that's what you get for buying a foiles. THANKS FOR THE REPLY. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how well can you do the feed chatter on it? :help: Oh yeah when you go to (Hail) on the call does it squeak out????

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, I can not get mine do anything that sounds like a feed chatter, and the High ball always locks up. Well I'm glad yours works I'm sending my to Jeff Foiles to have him fix it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it was free I might think about, but other than that I'll pass. Thanks anyway :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Now I hope I do not insult you when I say this--but you are a spitter. :eek: :yes:
Some guys for what ever reason spit more into the call than others-thus more likely to stick. And water and cold means frozen reeds. As mentioned rainx helps as it sheds the spit droplets easier. Also if you cut a shallow groove into the tone board where the reed sticks to it, that too will help. Be extremely careful when cutting it as one mistake and you need a new tone board. They use a roto-zip type of tool with a itty bitty tip to cut the groove on the flat area length ways so there is equal amount of board material on both sides of the groove. You do both sides of the air channel. You do not need to go too deep, like 1/32 of an inch is fine, 1/16th inch is great plenty deep. Use some extremely fine emery cloth to remove away burrs going with the grain (lengths ways). What happens is the spit acts like a suction cup between the tone board and the reed, thus the groove will allow air under the reed so it do not stick so easily.

BTW, this works for MANY calls as MANY calls stick.

I think I'll adjust Buster's signature :thumbsup: :toofunny:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey no hard feelings here, It doesn't seem like I spit alot but that has to be the reason. I wonder if I send the call out to Jeff Foiles if he will modify the call for my needs. I doubt it, but I guess it worth a shot. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Hey Buster,

Thanks for being such a good sport :thumbsup:
I've changed your title back for you. You can change your signature back if you want through your profile options.

Thanks again for taking the good natured ribbing so well. :thumbsup:

Admin2 :smile:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a friend that took his smm to foiles and they said it had a narrower reed in it and that was what was causin it to stick. Some places put the narrower reed in to allow the newbies to sound better when they purchased it. They put new reeds in it and it sounded good. I haven't talked to him recently though.

Nick

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
A narrow reed will help solve the sticking problem, not make it worse. Thats what Gaston does....a narrow reed=less contact with the toneboard=less sticking. Your buddy's call may sound better but it will stick like glue when condensation sets in :yes:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey just a little update, I sent my call into Jeff foiles about a week and a couple days ago. I haven't heard a call or an e-mail back. :thumbsdown: I have sent various e-mails and messages regarding my concern, and yet no response back. I have to say I'm a little worried regaurding my $125.00 call. I can't believe the problems that i'm having......... :pissed:

I'll keep y'all updated............... :help:

·
Registered
38 Posts
try becoming a better caller- no offense

you are putting too much spit into the call- yes, the call will lock up when too much moisture is in the call

learn to blow air with no moisture- i.e. no hot air

also- blow through the insert end to clear out the reed

·
Registered
598 Posts
:withstupid: I don't care what kind of call it is or what people say. All calls stick! If you blow it long enough, enough moisture will build up and cause it to stick. I'll admit I'm a spitter. I can blow a call for 10 minutes and it'll start stickin. Just need to practice more.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can understand that :thumbsup: , but what I don't understand :thumbsdown: is why companies continually make calls that consistently lock up due to spitting. I'm not a genius but I have to admit i know a lot of people that can be classified as spitters. So............. why don't manufactures of duck calls compromise for that disability or the lack there of blowing the call with the absence of spit? How long have duck calls been around? you would think I'm the only person with this problem. Paying $125.00 for a duck call seems outrageous but none the less I did pay for it, I guess for that money I was hoping for somthing a little better quality. :pissed:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Many times lock-up occurs not from spitting, but condensation. Thats the problem I had with the SMM, blowing warm air into a cool call. How do you blow cool air anyway????I'd really like to know, seeing as how air coming from your lungs is always warm. Holding the tip of your tongue up when inhaling just before using the call will help to dry your mouth somewhat, it helps a little.Rain-X on the reeds is suppossed to help.I sold the SMM[didn't take long] and will be buying a Doc and a Giden, both calls are pretty much stick-proof due to unique insert designs.I've recently been informed that Yentzen [sp?] also blows wet.
Buster, good luck with that overpriced[IMO] reed locker.Give Doc calls and Giden a look.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.