Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
I suggest you hook up with Goosehunterdog here at DHC and get a good proven training program such as Smartworks and start educating yourself on how to raise your new pup.
Getting a head start before pup comes home can be very advantageous to you and your pup.
Sound Beginnings by Jackie Mertens is what I'd start out with.

Here's a link to his website :
www.mclabstrainingsupplies.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
haven't saw problem and solutions, but i hear it is a good 'un :thumbsup:

but whatever you do, i'll ditto Brydog, with saying get into a proven training program and stick with it. there are several different ones out there, its just up to you to pick out which one you wanna go with.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just started force fetch after establishing a good hold on heel with my dog. I have a local person with lots of experience helping me. If you can find someone local, USE THEM! Following books and DVD's can be difficult.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I agree with BryDog. I got SmartWorks and SmartFetch from GHD. If you are just looking for FF info I don't think you can go wrong with SmartFetch. It is dedicated to FF and you can get the book or the 2 DVD's that go with it.

Fowl Dawgs is also a good program.

·
Registered
180 Posts
TCFarmer said:
If you are just looking for FF info I don't think you can go wrong with SmartFetch. It is dedicated to FF and you can get the book or the 2 DVD's that go with it.
I'll second that endorsement! :thumbsup:

And mlinc is correct - Problems and Solutions does NOT cover FF

·
Registered
279 Posts
The Reality

First of all, force fetch is more than just one thing. It is a definable process with clear goals. But, within the process are several steps or phases. Those steps will be laid out later, but first let's examine the goals.
1. To establish a standard for acceptable mouth habits.
2. To provide the trainer with a tool to maintain those habits.
3. To provide the trainer with a tool to assure compliance with the command to retrieve.
4. To form the foundation for impetus (momentum).
5. Pressure conditioning.

Mouth habits include such important items as fetching on command, even when your dog may be distracted, or moody, or any number of things that might interfere with compliance. Sure, you may get away for years without having such problems, but being smart and being lucky are not the same thing. Force fetch gives you a tool to handle this when it comes up, plus some insurance that it is less likely to come up due to this training.

Along with compulsion issues we need to mention a proper hold, and delivery on command. If my pheasant is punctured I want it to be from pellets, not teeth. That actually covers some ground in all of the first three categories.

Let's spend a little time on number four. Lots of people use the terms momentum and style interchangeably. I think it's important to distinguish between the two because of how they relate to this subject. Force fetch is the foundation of trained momentum, and provides a springboard into subsequent steps of basic development. Style has little to do with this. Here's why.
Ø Style: A combination of speed, enthusiasm, and just plain hustle that you see in a dog going toward a fall. Style is the product of natural desire and athleticism.
Ø Momentum: In a retriever, the compulsion from the dog's point of origin; defined in the dictionary as "the force possessed by a body in motion, Measure of movement: a quantity that expresses the motion of a body and its resistance to slowing down. It is equal to the product of the body's mass and velocity".

Clearly, this quality is a tremendously valuable asset in the running of blinds and overcoming diversion pressure. It even applies to running long marks, and/or marks through tough cover or terrain. When you need a dog to drive hundreds of yards against the draining influences of terrain, cover, re-entries, and all of the real and perceived factors that are so commonly momentum-robbing, having a dog with a reservoir of momentum is immensely valuable. Force fetch is where that reservoir is established, and can be built upon.

From the foundation of a forced fetch most modern methods progress through stages that continue to build on this principle. Stick fetch, Collar Condition to fetch, Walking fetch, Force to pile, and Water force are all extensions of the work we do in ear pinch or toe hitch, which are popular means to get it all going. When a dog has finished such a course the result is an animal far more driven, with much more resolve to overcome obstacles and distance and distractions.

Lest we forget ~

I am not suggesting that we harm or abuse dogs in any of this force work I've spoken of. The late Jim Kappes said, "A properly forced dog shouldn't look forced". I completely agree. Momentum and style are distinct terms, each with their own meanings, as pertains to retrievers. I firmly believe that both are traits that should co-exist in a well-trained retriever.

from the SmartFetch text

Please let me know if I can be of help.

EvanG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.