Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,854 Posts
The reason you don't see it here so much as other places I think is that this a primarily a hunting board, not strictly a dog board where there are alot of "dog game" guys. (not attacking dog games I'm going to be doing them too)

I chose to FF my dog, because I love seeing fully finished dogs. I love watching a dog pick the bird up, not rolling it around in its mouth, come to heel (still holding it), and not just spit it out when the dog feels like it. My shorthair was getting real sloppy on delivery so I decided to FF. Don't get me wrong I'm not making a dog retrieve that has no inclination to do so, because she has lots of retrieve in her. I'm just polishing her chrome.

· Registered
1,854 Posts
Aaron
If I had to guess I would say how and when you do the training plays a lot into the dog at hand. This entails changing the program or tweeking it for a certain dog. I've heard of guys needing bottle caps taped to their fingers to get a response from their dog. There is no way my dog comes close to needing this kind of pressure. My dog is almost to soft for my liking, so her ecollar rarely if ever comes of the 1 setting. This wouldn't work for a dog that can handle any kind of pressure you throw at it. When you do the training is important because the dog again has to be able to handle the pressure involved and be mature enough to go through this training.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.