Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please take the time to send this letter to your Senators and Congressmen regarding the farm bill.

Feel free to edit the letter as you see fit.

Please do this......we can't just sit here thinking that everything will be okay.....

Dear (Insert Senator or Congressman & Name)

It has come to my attention that the US Farm Bill comes up for discussion this year. I'm writing this letter to express my concern over the impact the current bill has had on our environment and wildlife populations, in particular waterfowl.

I've learned that the current farm bill has actually encouraged over production by offering higher compensation for lower crop prices. This policy has provided the agricultural community incentive to drain and tile every square inch available. After all the one way to insure low prices is to flood the market with product.

The billions of dollars spent on this bill, while the intentions were good initially, have in reality destroyed the continents most sensitive areas. Wetlands are and always have been one of the best water filters. Now water exits the landscape via ditches and drain tile into existing waterways causing 100 year floods every time we get any appreciable rain or snowfall. In some parts of the country well water is so contaminated with nitrates it's unfit for consumption.

In 1935 nesting success for waterfowl in North America was estimated at 33%. It has fallen steadily since, and at last estimate in 1992, it was at 10%. In all probability it's in single digits today. Biologists say a nest success of 10% is the minimum for maintaining the population.

The current habitat available for wildlife is so degraded from excessive runoff via drain tiles and ditches, that they have become infested with fish, devoid of vegetation, and to deep for waterfowl. Wetlands by their design are designed to go through dry periods where they regenerate. Now with the constant runoff, they cannot go through this natural process. They have, in effect, become sterile.

In some parts of the country the agricultural community has started laying drain tile in flat fields.

It seems the current farm bill is paying a business to fail. No other business is rewarded for failing the "supply and demand" test. While billions are spent in subsidies, billions more are paid trying to get the land out of production. As a taxpayer I feel its wrong to reward a business for bad practices. I feel it's time the farm bill, as it stands today, is scraped. I as a sportsman am concerned about our wildlife and the environment, I would ask you really re-think the farm bill. We can no longer afford to keep abusing our land the way we currently do.

Thank you for listening.

Respectfully,

(insert your name & address)

Edited by Admin2

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Steverinobambino said:
E-mail is good, but I have found that writing them illicits a better response..
Right you are! A US Senator views a hand written (like in ball point pen)and pony express letter as if 5,000 of their constituants view it that way too. That has the most impact. VS an email where they view it as maybe 100 people see the issue in that way because they get so many of them. It is good to send either way, but I like the bigger impact better myself. If you have poor penmenship(hard to read your handwriting), then use the computer to compose it, print off a copy and hand sign it and mail it pony express. :thumbsup:

For example in MN where KO is from, if the sportsmen/women in that state got off their duff, they would be a bigger lobby politically than Health Care and Education COMBINED! :eek: Way too many think "I'll let the other guys do it" problem is that 95% think that and nothing hardly gets accomplished. So considering that you all spend countless hours hunting, working on gear, etc... is spending a 1/2 hour writing 3 letters too much to ask? Remember to be to the point and polite and no profanity used. And if by chance you voted for them and/or are of their political party then mention that too. It adds icing to the cake when they get letters from their supports and they'll take a keener interest.

So get ur dun boys :thumbsup:

Admin2

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I was listening to a MN DNR presentation yesterday. He said that basically 700 letters from sportsmen in MN got the RIM funding to be initiated (Reinvest In Minnesota) about 10 years back. Basically that was if only waterfowlers were considered, that 5% of them wrote the letters and got the legislation to pass. If we got 5% nationally of the sportsmen to get off their butts and and take an hour or less twice a year---the conservation funding picture would be a LOT different. We spend countless hours hunting. fishing, etc.... but balk at spending an hour to try to improve funding for wildlife, fish and of course ducks? Sorry but that does not make sense not to do so.

Be a true sportsman, write the letters. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.