Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s that time of year where I reach out and invite hunter’s to get together for food and drink and conversation. A time to share stories and experiences afield and to meet new friends in the hunting community. It’s a great opportunity to make new friends and even hunt new spots that you didn’t know were out there. I know that DHC has fewer members than in years past but I’m still putting this invitation out there. The gathering takes place at my home in Middleboro. All are welcome, no matter your age or experience. There’s a few of you out there we haven’t met yet. This is the perfect opportunity to do so. It’s a BYOB event. Great food to have, usually game meals provided by me and others. Don’t be shy. I’ve got a solid group of attendees already, so come aboard and have fun. Saturday, October 8th, 3:00 pm until whenever.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If I'm home for it I'll definitely go.
Hard to tell though with this fishing schedule, I was supposed to be done by August/September till January but the price dropped so we haven't been going lately

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have never met off-line Baymen, so excuse me if I've misinterpreted as an invite!

I'm certainly interested in meeting more like-minded duck hunters in my area, and this sounds like a blast, but as of now my annual north woods grouse hunting weekend is on the books for that weekend. If things change and the invite stands, I'll certainly be there.

Otherwise, I hope to be more active on the forum and to bump into some of you gents at a boat ramp or out in the marsh.

Cheers and hope everyone is enjoying the fishing and the offseason.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Matt. Thanks for your interest. It is indeed an invite if you want to join us. It’s always tough to pick a date for it with people having hunting or fishing plans. But this date is on and I’ve got a fair amount of people coming. It’s not a huge event but plenty of people to hang with. A bunch of us met through this site and continue to hunt together and communicate year round. I’d be impressed if you gave up your grouse hunt to come. That’s a tough decision for sure. I love grouse and woodcock as well. If need any details or have any questions feel free to sent me a private message. Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s that time of year where I reach out and invite hunter’s to get together for food and drink and conversation. A time to share stories and experiences afield and to meet new friends in the hunting community. It’s a great opportunity to make new friends and even hunt new spots that you didn’t know were out there. I know that DHC has fewer members than in years past but I’m still putting this invitation out there. The gathering takes place at my home in Middleboro. All are welcome, no matter your age or experience. There’s a few of you out there we haven’t met yet. This is the perfect opportunity to do so. It’s a BYOB event. Great food to have, usually game meals provided by me and others. Don’t be shy. I’ve got a solid group of attendees already, so come aboard and have fun. Saturday, October 8th, 3:00 pm until whenever.
Brand new member here, anything I should bring for the event?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Joe Henry. Nothing like diving in head first. Welcome. Can you share any background with us?
I'm probably as green as it gets as far a hunter goes. I've also only had my LTC for about a year. Hunting and firearms were not part of my childhood. I've done much research as far as laws go, and have my hunting license. During spring turkey season I went for a hunt just after day break. I had a woodpecker call, a mouth rasp, and the cup and pen style hen call. Having practiced a bit with all of them, watching YT for tips as well, I figured I had a chance. I was at greylock as well. I found my way here because hunting is not something that was in my family or around me growing up. After that blunder of a hunt I figured I'd take the summer to research more about turkey, duck, and grouse. I also figure that squirrel and rabbit would be a good way to start, I just have to wait for those seasons to begin. I have a 12 gauge and a 410 that I definitely need to pattern. There's so many shell options, and different top 10 lists I'm not sure what is best, good, and will work. I don't know anyone personally who hunts, yet. I look forward to the opportunity to join the community.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds good Joe. You’re on the right path. Stay active on this forum. All your questions should be answered. As we get closer to October we can share private messages regarding the gathering. 👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone used federal "black cloud" 3" #4 shot? Picked up a box to try! Thinking I should find some good game shells and get some patterning in. As well as get my hands on some good shells before the rush at the start of the season.

·
Administrator
43,168 Posts
I have not. If you go to the general forum page you can search the shotshell forum and probably get a thousand opinions on it.
Amen to that. Ain't nuthin' ain't ever been asked here...lol. Memory tells me people generally do not like them and some barrel damage has occurred but I'm pretty set on non-gimmicky shot and everything I shoot at drops in the bed of my truck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Matt. Thanks for your interest. It is indeed an invite if you want to join us. It’s always tough to pick a date for it with people having hunting or fishing plans. But this date is on and I’ve got a fair amount of people coming. It’s not a huge event but plenty of people to hang with. A bunch of us met through this site and continue to hunt together and communicate year round. I’d be impressed if you gave up your grouse hunt to come. That’s a tough decision for sure. I love grouse and woodcock as well. If need any details or have any questions feel free to sent me a private message. Bill
Appreciate it! I'll likely stick with the Northwoods plan and miss you fellas this time, but I'll be around on the forum and come hunting season and will try to make the next one work! Thanks again

·
Registered
102 Posts
Has anyone used federal "black cloud" 3" #4 shot? Picked up a box to try! Thinking I should find some good game shells and get some patterning in. As well as get my hands on some good shells before the rush at the start of the season.
I've killed plenty of waterfowl with Black Cloud 3" #2-4s it's good stuff just hard to get a decent deal on it lately cause most online distributers won't ship to Mass. It's not illegal to buy ammo online & have it shipped here, the majority of the companies don't want to stay up on the ever sophisticated laws of Mass & just won't ship to save on the BS to a small market.
Part of the reason why I start switching to Boss shells, they will ship to your door & do pretty damn good on clean kills

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've killed plenty of waterfowl with Black Cloud 3" #2-4s it's good stuff just hard to get a decent deal on it lately cause most online distributers won't ship to Mass. It's not illegal to buy ammo online & have it shipped here, the majority of the companies don't want to stay up on the ever sophisticated laws of Mass & just won't ship to save on the BS to a small market.
Part of the reason why I start switching to Boss shells, they will ship to your door & do pretty damn good on clean kills
I got a box of black cloud from Walmart for about $20 seemed like an ok deal. I've only been buying ammo for about a year, from what ive seen $1/rnd or so for good game/defensive loads is a fair price. I know certain ammo manufacturers have good reputations for certain things, like speer gold dot hollow points, federal HST punch. So I guess I naturally figured a game load from federal must be a viable choice. Also well aware that I started buying ammo right around the peak of the price hike. I know that target sports USA will ship ammo to mass. Prices are lower than everywhere but Walmart, and no 3 box limit either. Target sports has some "hevi" loads but not knowing the brand I'm unsure about them. Glad I'm here, I'll have to keep an eye out for some of those boss loads!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts