101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
Cujo1 said:
waterfowlman said:
vincentpa said:
waterfowlman said:
I once belonged to the ultimate fraternity where every single one of my brothers could be trusted 100% and absolutely NO ONE F*cked with us.
Were you SF in Vietnam? How old are you?
Hi vincentpa
Here is another link to what I was doing in 1967-68-69
Rick

http://www.patriotfiles.com/gallery/sho ... 2&size=big
Just read through this post. Waterfowlman, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR SERVICE. I was born in 63 and I appreciate you for watching my back. I know a number of vets and you are correct they have a very powerful brotherhood. Thanks Again
x2!

·
Registered
374 Posts
As far as military vs fraternity goes.......

I'll be sure to tell his mom......a lot of you think he's a ***.

I drank a lot of beer with Chris....he was a great friend, a great soldier, and a great brother. I'm proud to say ....."I bought him as a friend".

http://militarytimes.com/valor/army-spc ... nd/256971/

Army Spc. Christopher J. Holland
Died December 17, 2003 serving during Operation Iraqi Freedom

26, of Brunswick, Ga.; assigned to Battery A, 4th Battalion, 27th Field Artillery Regiment, 1st Armored Division, based in Smith Barracks, Germany; killed while part of a dismounted patrol when his unit was ambushed with small arms fire Dec. 17 in Baghdad.
Christopher Holland was in college when he surprised his dad and decided to join the Army. He chose to become a medic because he was thinking about going into nursing, Jim Holland said. "He always wanted to be independent and work on his own, but I think gradually over a couple years, he changed his mind and joined the Army," he said. Spc. Holland, 26, of Brunswick, Ga., died Dec. 17 when his Baghdad patrol unit was ambushed with small-arms fire. He was based in Smith Barracks, Germany. Holland attended Valdosta State University before joining the Army. He had been stationed in Baghdad since April, his father said. "He was a true friend because he had lots of friends. They've been calling," he said. Other survivors include his mother, Mary Jo Holland, of Lunenburg, Mass.

- Associated Press

http://www.stripes.com/news/1st-ad-sold ... er-1.14859

Yet at Valdosta State University, the hard-core churchgoer got the nickname "Hard Core," becoming a party legend and a founding father of the Sigma Nu Mu Nu Chapter at the school.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
seminole_sigmanu said:

I drank a lot of beer with Chris....he was a great friend, a great soldier, and a great brother. I'm proud to say ....."I bought him as a friend".

26, of Brunswick, Ga.; assigned to Battery A, 4th Battalion, 27th Field Artillery Regiment, 1st Armored Division, based in Smith Barracks, Germany; killed while part of a dismounted patrol when his unit was ambushed with small arms fire Dec. 17 in Baghdad.
Christopher Holland was in college when he surprised his dad and decided to join the Army. He chose to become a medic because he was thinking about going into nursing, Jim Holland said. "He always wanted to be independent and work on his own, but I think gradually over a couple years, he changed his mind and joined the Army," he said. Spc. Holland, 26, of Brunswick, Ga., died Dec. 17 when his Baghdad patrol unit was ambushed with small-arms fire. He was based in Smith Barracks, Germany. Holland attended Valdosta State University before joining the Army. He had been stationed in Baghdad since April, his father said. "He was a true friend because he had lots of friends. They've been calling," he said. Other survivors include his mother, Mary Jo Holland, of Lunenburg, Mass.

- Associated Press

Yet at Valdosta State University, the hard-core churchgoer got the nickname "Hard Core," becoming a party legend and a founding father of the Sigma Nu Mu Nu Chapter at the school.
Relax...no one called your buddy a ***

·
Premium Member
9,795 Posts
Redbeard said:
seminole_sigmanu said:

- Associated Press

Relax...no one called your buddy a ***
Since douche is more appropriate

·
Registered
374 Posts
:hi:

I know no one person actually called him an actual "***" but labeling all fraternity guys as **** pulls him as well as everyone else under the label....then putting military on a high horse. As a LEO, I respect all Military, Fire and LEO.

As far as rattling my chains..... :thumbsup: ...everyone's tough in the internet so go troll me a river.

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
seminole_sigmanu said:

I know no one person actually called him an actual "***" but labeling all fraternity guys as **** pulls him as well as everyone else under the label....then putting military on a high horse. As a LEO, I respect all Military, Fire and LEO.

As far as rattling my chains..... :thumbsup: ...everyone's tough in the internet so go troll me a river.
General Rule: Fraternities are full of some cool guys and a good mixture of douchebags.

Do with that whatever you will.

·
Registered
374 Posts
WTN10 said:
General Rule: Fraternities are full of some cool guys and a good mixture of douchebags.

Do with that whatever you will.
That my friend is fact....as with jobs and family BUT....some do slip through the cracks. We had/have a very, very limited few of them.

Atleast we agree on one thing....you almost made me cry and if I cried my spray tan would have ran... :beer:

·
Registered
21,278 Posts
seminole_sigmanu said:

There are few things in life I despise as much as someone holding up the death of a military member in order to further their argument.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
assateague said:
seminole_sigmanu said:

There are few things in life I despise as much as someone holding up the death of a military member in order to further their argument.
I couldn't agree more. Especially with a friendly, fun filled debate about fraternities.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
WTN10 said:
jensenja said:
Now to be fair, most of my high school buddies went to the university of Tennessee and pledged. A lot of them are just now graduating or were on the 5 year plan and were f-ups... A smaller percentage of them really killed it in Undergrad and had jobs waiting for them after school...
Maybe there's some sort of relationship between state schools and being a frat failure.
Honestly, I think it probably has to due with the cost of school. My undergrad education was EASILY pushing 55k a year with everything included. Spending an extra year in school was not acceptable in my parent's eyes.

Now, most instate, state school tuitions are nowhere near that and spending an extra year or two just isn't as big of a deal and there is no strong motivation to graduate.

At least this is my theory.

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
jensenja said:
WTN10 said:
jensenja said:
Now to be fair, most of my high school buddies went to the university of Tennessee and pledged. A lot of them are just now graduating or were on the 5 year plan and were f-ups... A smaller percentage of them really killed it in Undergrad and had jobs waiting for them after school...
Maybe there's some sort of relationship between state schools and being a frat failure.
Honestly, I think it probably has to due with the cost of school. My undergrad education was EASILY pushing 55k a year with everything included. Spending an extra year in school was not acceptable in my parent's eyes.

Now, most instate, state school tuitions are nowhere near that and spending an extra year or two just isn't as big of a deal and there is no strong motivation to graduate.

At least this is my theory.
I had thought about that too. My school had a noticable population of people who failed out of more expensive schools and came home to fail out of my school too. :tongue:

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
I went on the last panty raid on a sorority house in WVU history. We were all drunked up and someone had the bright idea to panty raid the A O Pi...gs. Seven of us did a panty raid on the sorority house at about 2 in the morning. It got cut premature when my friend fell down the stairs and split his head open.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
vincentpa said:
I went on the last panty raid on a sorority house in WVU history. We were all drunked up and someone had the bright idea to panty raid the A O Pi...gs. Seven of us did a panty raid on the sorority house at about 2 in the morning. It got cut premature when my friend fell down the stairs and split his head open.
I hope you guys were wearing gloves..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Alpha Gamma Rho here. Michigan State chapter.

Far as Frat goys, were nothing like typical frat. 95% come from Farms and Agriculture background. More a tradition that anything. No one is friends with everyone and its just a group of guys that have something in common. Heck its gotten me so great access to some hunting land(even if my best spot is a Farmhouse guys) Almost everyone in the fraternity has had a dad or brother or uncle in it. Were only 50 members. House is like a big apartment and no different than living with a couple buds in an actual apartment. We pay less for living in 2 semesters than almost one semester in the dorms. We have a full time cook that has dinner ready by 530 pm. Parties are fun, and grades are important. Last semester we had the highest GPA beating out the honors frat. I think were somewhere around 95% graduation rate as I only know 1 or 2 guys in my 3 years that hasnt graduated and they also dropped out of the house

Those other frats..ya a lot of them deserve the rep they get, but not all of the bad rap is true. Heck since Thanksgiving break we've had 3 students die at MSU from drugs or other things. And guess what..not one was a frat person. But if it was a frat its all over the news and everyone ridicules them. And buying friends, that a load of chit in my mind. I joined for job connections and the networking. I hang out more with my friends outside of the house than in it. But that may be just me too..

anyways thats just my thoughts :)

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
msuducknut said:
Alpha Gamma Rho here. Michigan State chapter.

Far as Frat goys, were nothing like typical frat. 95% come from Farms and Agriculture background. More a tradition that anything. No one is friends with everyone and its just a group of guys that have something in common. Heck its gotten me so great access to some hunting land(even if my best spot is a Farmhouse guys) Almost everyone in the fraternity has had a dad or brother or uncle in it. Were only 50 members. House is like a big apartment and no different than living with a couple buds in an actual apartment. We pay less for living in 2 semesters than almost one semester in the dorms. We have a full time cook that has dinner ready by 530 pm. Parties are fun, and grades are important. Last semester we had the highest GPA beating out the honors frat. I think were somewhere around 95% graduation rate as I only know 1 or 2 guys in my 3 years that hasnt graduated and they also dropped out of the house

Those other frats..ya a lot of them deserve the rep they get, but not all of the bad rap is true. Heck since Thanksgiving break we've had 3 students die at MSU from drugs or other things. And guess what..not one was a frat person. But if it was a frat its all over the news and everyone ridicules them. And buying friends, that a load of chit in my mind. I joined for job connections and the networking. I hang out more with my friends outside of the house than in it. But that may be just me too..

anyways thats just my thoughts :)
While I think most frat boys are collar popping douches (Hi TNAL!) I'll give you a pass if you're part of the Izzone

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Redbeard said:
While I think most frat boys are collar popping douches (Hi TNAL!) I'll give you a pass if you're part of the Izzone
We had an agreement Red! :hammer:

·
Registered
201 Posts
vincentpa said:
Were any of you fellas in a fraternity in college? I was in Delta Tau Delta at West Virginia University. We got thrown off campus my sophmore year. I made the front page of the newspaper leaving the house with my bags packed. There are lots of good memories. I just wish I could remember them all.
WVU represent. im a freshmen in arnoldhall, but i will prob rush in the spring :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

101 - 120 of 151 Posts