Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
2,183 Posts
Greenheads look good and are relatively cheap.

G&H look alright. They last forever, and you can probably hand them down to your kids.

Either one is a good choice. I own both. I like the swivel heads on the G&H. I think it makes a spread more realistic, with multiple heads poisitions, cause everybody uses the GHG decoys. I like to be different. My .02

· Registered
1,142 Posts
I'd go with GHG. I bought a dozen hotbuys, a dozen wigeon, 18 goose shells and 1/2 dozen Over-sized mallards last season, all still look brand new, I've never owned any g&h decoys so I can't speak for them, but my GHG have been good to me so I'd recomend GHG.

Mallyard

· Registered
536 Posts
I can't stand the look of G&H they just look so faded and so gross I would say that ghg are a better bet they look great the paint dosn't chip that bad (ghg started useing new paint this year that will help with chiping) go ghg while G&H last long and don't chip they don't come close to beating ghg one detail and price.

· Registered
2,183 Posts
AK Ducks said:
I can't stand the look of G&H they just look so faded and so gross I would say that ghg are a better bet they look great the paint dosn't chip that bad (ghg started useing new paint this year that will help with chiping) go ghg while G&H last long and don't chip they don't come close to beating ghg one detail and price.
You need to see our GHG Lifesizes then. Both dozen have minor paint flaking and I have only used them 4-5 times. The older gh are alot better. The look better than GHG and last longer than any decoy you will ever own (except maybe burlaps). I own both, and don't want to bash GHG, but they still have issues that need worked out. Hotbuys are awesome for the price. I recommend some of them.

· Registered
536 Posts
KS I have ghg lifesizes and a friend who has some of the newer G&H i've used the ghg for two seasons now and only have some minor paint chiping, and a friend who has had ghg for 3 seasons and less paint chiping then mine. I haven't seen any old G&H but if you think the old ones look good i'll belive you, but the newer ones(G&H) look like crap. but avery has said that they are improving their paint on the ghg to help them last so I think I might buy some more.

· Registered
1,613 Posts
I use both brands, and love them both, the g&h have swival heads, are light weight yet weighted keel which is great, but they also run close to $90 a doz. I'm a big diver duck hunter down here in texas, big spreads is what brings the ducks in, no way I can afford all g&h. That would add up close to $400, same with herters, now those herters prices are rediculous. GHG are fairly priced. They may not have swival heads, but the detail makes up for that. They run for about $50 a doz depending on spieces. But heck I've had my doz. carrylite mallards for 4 seasons now, and haven't had to repaint them yet. :laughing:

· Registered
2,027 Posts
I finally tried the hotbuys and I really like them. Only thing I don't like about all of Averys stuff is it is not made in the US. That is how they get them so cheap.... It sucks, you want to get the most for your money, but it really hurts americans to buy foreignly made stuff....

· Registered
40 Posts
There is no argue that G&H make sturdy decoys. If they could just get the paint up to par with the quality of dekes. I have A dozen G&H Mallards and 3 Dozen GHG, I use them both but firmly believe GHG has a much better looking decoy. As for paint chipping....I have yet to experience any (all my mallard dekes are 1 year old) but I did buy a paint kit so I dont care if they chip.

As far as the snap-lok keels on GHG...when I assamble mine, I hot glue them and dont have to worry about it.

If G&H dekes looked as good as GHG, I would buy nothing else because their quality of body construction is second to none.

· Registered
2,183 Posts
Guys, you don't need the super realistic duck decoys. They attract hunters not ducks. THey make them look that good so that you will buy them. I killed more ducks over flambeaus and Remington decoys that had very little paint on them. Ducks cruising at 15 mph don't go oh well that head isn't shiny enough.

I like G&H cause of the head color and the bright yellow bill. GHG are okay for the weekend waterfowler, but those of us who spend 5-6 days a week in the field they are crap.

· Registered
40 Posts
Wow...never had anybody call my decoys "crap".

Guess if everybody does not like the same dekes then theirs is
"crap"

I guess my Benelli SBE is crap. And my boat is crap.

It is a personal opinion....its a bit 8th grade to call the equipment that others choose to use as "crap".

Kind of offensive coming from somebody obviously as knowledgeable as ks_waterfowler

I have to say that I am offended!

· Registered
54 Posts
well texas i have to agree that i dont really appreciate my stuff being called crap i guess its our fault we cant afford the top of the line decoys anyway i just got 2 dozen hot buys and i think they have a great paint scheme and the short keels and small dekexs you can carry a lot first of all i know it doesnt matter if your hunting over g&h decoys or blocks of wood im sure i could hunt over my greenhead dekes and he can hunt his g&h and i could kill just as many birds as him i mean ive called birds into open water and no dekes im sure im just rambleing on but i dont make much money cant afford much but every minuite i spend in the outdoors hunting fishing killing cathing or not i enjoy every minuite

· Registered
2,183 Posts
Hotbuys are the best damn $20 decoys on the market. THe lifesizes are a joke. My paint is coming off after 8 hunts and the pricks at Avery told me to take better care of my equipment. . I told them what I thought of their products using H20fowler's tact and they made it a several personal attacks on me. They told me to ask Santa how to hunt. They also said I was the most negative person out there becuase I didn't support their products. They even went as far as to say deep down I know they are the best products I have ever used. Yeah right. I support products that I believe in. G&H, Bigfoots, Beretta, Benelli, Remington, Browning, Herters, Patternmaster, just to name a few.

Their products are not meant to take the abuse of people like myself who live on a refuge and hunt 6 days a week. If you want something for a quick fix then go Avery. If you want something that you can pass down to your kids go elsewhere. G&H, Old Flambeaus, Bigfoots, and Higdons are all good decoys.

I gave them a chance, but the Hotbuys are the only decoys they make worth buying. If you want more Avery Decoys you can buy the ones I had and also my layouts. I am taking my business elsewhere. My G&H are the best decoys I have ever owned still. They have paid for themselves after going through 2 dozen Avery's this season.

If you still want to by GHG have at it. This is my personal experience with this company and they will get no more of my money.

My .02

PS I am not rich either, but I know good equipment when I use it. I apy a little more and get stuff that I know will last. Being a poor college student (and a firefighter one of the lowest paying jobs around) I would rather buy a product once, then have to buy it every year.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.