Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at having a boat build and Gator Glide is a $700 option for an 18' boat. I know it is supposed to make the boat a little faster but no idea by how much. I would also assume it will slide over logs and vegetation better as well. Is this stuff worth the expense?

Note this is on a mod-v boat with an outboard, not a flat bottom with mud motor.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
You won’t see any speed increase, and I honestly can’t understand why you would do that to a mod v boat with an outboard. There’s no where you can take that boat that it would be even remotely beneficial, except for getting it off your trailer. It’s made for mud boats and air boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Bluesky is right on the money with his post.
I put Gator Glide on my mudboat, my Aquapod layout, my fiberglass Sneaker, and a decoy sled. Cost me a LOT less than $700, doing it myself. And, yes, it does help slide the boat on and off the trailer.....
I did a side-by-side comparison of two decoy sleds, both identical except on had GG on it and one didn't. I could tell no difference in the effort required to pull each of them over wet mud and grass. Couldn't tell any difference on the fiberglass layout either.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
As has been mentioned, gator glide is for boats that will have the bottom of the hull making contact with the bottom of the body of water you’re running in. On a new hull, definitely not going to pick up speed. I think the picking up speed from gator glide (and gains are only 1-3mph) Are from guys with used hulls with lots of scratches and gouges in the bottom and the gator glide fills those flaws in and makes a slick coating. For a V hull with an outboard 100% waste of your money as you’d never see the benefits when actually running the boat. But like others have said, it would help sliding on/off the trailer but that’s it.

I put gator glide on my layout boat hoping to see slightly better performance in really shallow water and make it easier to drag it across dry ground. Gains were virtually unnoticeable coming from the original gel coat. I’m sure it works better for larger aluminum boats but I saw basically no benefits a fiberglass layout. And I spent roughly a $100 in materials plus the time to sand my boat and apply it. And even after two or three seasons now it’s got a few spots that are worn back down to the gel coat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts