Duck Hunting Forum banner
18561 - 18580 of 18615 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
xrated said:
Started improving the blind on my buddies boat we use. Last year the mats were a pain for letting the dog in. Added snow fence and it really helps hold the mats up and with the wife's help we were able to line mats up to a cut in the fence for the dogs entrance.

Gonna zip tie it good tomorrow and add green cattails and grass bunches tomorrow.

Might try and zip tie some lead weights to the bottom so it doesn't blow around in a hard wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks good X.

I made a dog door in mine by not zip tying the snow fence to the top rail on the last two feet by the end. Instead of zip ties I put a couple pan head sheet metal screws in the blind frame and left them out about 3/16". The snow fence just hooks over the screws and then can be opened like a door to let the dog in and out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I wrastled with weighting the bottom edge and also how the bottom edge got squirrly when folding down the frame and traveling.

Some options are using chain, or a garden hose filled with sand, but what I liked best was half inch pipe… I can't remember if I used gray pvc or steel conduit, but that worked great for me. Sold the boat a couple years ago.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Anyone have experience with the various A-Frame blinds out there?

Looks like Rogers store brand and AvianX are the two most competitive priced ones.

This would primarily be used on a sand bar point and could be very windy… wouldn't leave it out all season, but ideally be able to stake it out for several days at a time and leave the stakes planted for the season

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
I've had quite a bit of experience with A-frames. Never use the Rogers version, but I'm sure it's as good as any of them. I personally don't believe one manufacturer makes a better one. My suggestion is go with the one that fits in your price range better.

Now with that said. I do really like the way the A-frame set up. Quick and easy.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I use an avian x a frame. Had it for 3 seasons. Nothing shows me it won't last another 3 or more. I use it every weekend of the season. There is a chance it would blow away, especially here in SD. I zip tie 4x4 grass mats to it every time. I made a cheap 1x1/ burlap frame to make a roof, allowing for 2 shooting holes. This year, avian x released the G blind. Essentially an a frame with a higher back and part roof.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
I would love an Aframe or panel blind. But I can't justify one yet. Maybe another year into NoDak I can convince the account manager.

The first booth inside Game Fair has panels for 200 or 220 which seemed decent but I can't recall the brand.

·
Registered
234 Posts
WallyDuck said:
I use an avian x a frame. Had it for 3 seasons. Nothing shows me it won't last another 3 or more. I use it every weekend of the season. There is a chance it would blow away, especially here in SD. I zip tie 4x4 grass mats to it every time. I made a cheap 1x1/ burlap frame to make a roof, allowing for 2 shooting holes. This year, avian x released the G blind. Essentially an a frame with a higher back and part roof.

Dumb question… does it work to zip tie the grass mats on at the beginning of the season and leave them on for the duration?

Also, just realized today it looks like the AvianX and Rogers have cross bar supports along the top… my dad is 71 and one of our buddies is around 65, so I might go with the Luck Duck 2x4 to avoid making the old guys duck and crawl under to get in and out.

Further comments are always appreciated!

·
Registered
889 Posts
The blind does require you to duck under the exits. The grass, I barely zip tie on. A few zip tie per sheet. The blind is about 10" x 5' when rolled up. I roll up the grass in bundles. All of which has 2 bungees. I'm super interested in Drakes ghullie blind, but I'd like to see one in action. Reviews have been both good and bad.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Not sure if this is a brag or a general topic but my duck season is gonna looks a little different this year…. Got an archery bear / elk hunt in 2 weeks and then a rifle elk hunt in November so I'm down to 1 ND trip this season! The silver lining is I've have to get my butt in shape for elk ANd I'm gonna take a bag of decoys on the rifle trip and try hunting either the Colorado river OR the south platt

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Jeez I guess so…. I am hoping I can hunt the south platt at least once but that's a long shoot… I'm sure my brother and I aren't gonna hunt for 2 days and be like "wow taking down our two elk was easy… let's duck hunt" lol

·
Registered
708 Posts
Better start shopping for another freezer.

On another note I may have had a pumpkin spice pudding shot at a golf outing today and liked it.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
DuckSlayer5200 said:
Better start shopping for another freezer.

On another note I may have had a pumpkin spice pudding shot at a golf outing today and liked it.
If I have to get another freezer I'm okay with that lol

Wow, I noticed mtnops has a pumpkin spice flavored protein powder…. It's getting a little out of hand at this point lol

·
4,800 Posts
DuckSlayer5200 said:
xrated said:
Started improving the blind on my buddies boat we use. Last year the mats were a pain for letting the dog in. Added snow fence and it really helps hold the mats up and with the wife's help we were able to line mats up to a cut in the fence for the dogs entrance.

Gonna zip tie it good tomorrow and add green cattails and grass bunches tomorrow.

Might try and zip tie some lead weights to the bottom so it doesn't blow around in a hard wind.

Looks good X.

I made a dog door in mine by not zip tying the snow fence to the top rail on the last two feet by the end. Instead of zip ties I put a couple pan head sheet metal screws in the blind frame and left them out about 3/16". The snow fence just hooks over the screws and then can be opened like a door to let the dog in and out.
cut it level with the boat all that extra is gonna drag in the water and eventually tear off and the ice is gonna be havoc on that also... ask me how I know

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
We don't leave it up Hillbilly. Gets folded into the boat when not hunting.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
We take our duck "scouting" aka watching very seriously.

No bugs this year so next winter or spring I will add a roof of sorts and enclose it with screen.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That's fantastic.

I've been known to put up portable deer stands for duck scouting. So many of the places I hunt are so brushy it's the only way to see the water!

18561 - 18580 of 18615 Posts