Duck Hunting Forum banner
18621 - 18640 of 18674 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
I agree this year there are far less birds than previous years. While scouting and Hunting private land for opener i noticed far fewer birds overall than past years. But it seems every local bird that has been shot at has gone to the Unhunted bird sanctuary

·
Registered
719 Posts
It was a very dry spring and the numbers are definitely down. I think the farther west you go the dryer the spring was. It’s also been warm in Canada so no reason to push birds south yet.

My season opens Saturday so I’ll see how it goes. There’s a decent amount of local birds around so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Y’all’s observations are similar to what I’m seeing on Lake Superior, lower water levels and not as many ducks around and certainly warmer…. OCT 2nd last year it snowed… this year mid 70s… ducks are just enjoying the Canadian fall weather still

I did do a crazy long 1/2 day hunt in SE ND last weekend for nonres opener, birds are not as prevalent as in past years…. Normally you see some ducks in every slough and just try to hunt the ones with lots of ducks…. well this year there’s a lot of sloughs with no ducks and then you find one with hundreds… so it seems to have narrowed you opportunities down some, I think for the most part in ND you could basically setup on any given slough and expect to shoot a duck just because of all the bouncing around….. not this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
A couple places out west have fresh water shrimp where I've hunted. So hopefully the hunter pressure tapers off.
But the low water has to have something to do with the shrimp.
All but the serious hunters who are already stocked up on steel will run out of ammo this season. Good luck finding steel shot this season. Should limit pressure towards end of season.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Yup, it will be my first trip there for ducks. I’m looking forward to it.

Got some buddies here that do the same thing every year, from what they tell me it’s a good time and the birds you can shoot are endless… you can shoot a flock of mallards and the next flock be old squaw and scoters it’s pretty cool, unique migration path for the Midwest

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
That sounds interesting.

It’s that for sure, when we cross the mackinaw bridge on the eastern UP going to maryland late season there’s rafts of thousands of redheads just sitting there… it’s big water though. The St. Mary’s River/ Munuscong Bay Area is popular with the guys from down state Michigan because our season opens 1-2 weeks before theirs does and it’s navigable with smaller boats IF you stay near shore. I want to do a trip over and I sure have the boat for it but it’s still 5hrs from here and that’s hard to justify when if I go the opposite direction and add a few hrs I’m in ND … idk may this is the year to try it over a weekend, I was gonna try Bay De Noc but maybe I should do Munuscong and see what the hype is about

·
Registered
719 Posts
It’s that for sure, when we cross the mackinaw bridge on the eastern UP going to maryland late season there’s rafts of thousands of redheads just sitting there… it’s big water though. The St. Mary’s River/ Munuscong Bay Area is popular with the guys from down state Michigan because our season opens 1-2 weeks before theirs does and it’s navigable with smaller boats IF you stay near shore. I want to do a trip over and I sure have the boat for it but it’s still 5hrs from here and that’s hard to justify when if I go the opposite direction and add a few hrs I’m in ND … idk may this is the year to try it over a weekend, I was gonna try Bay De Noc but maybe I should do Munuscong and see what the hype is about

Crazy we are both about the same distance from Munuscong and I’m just south of Lansing and you are in the UP.

·
Registered
719 Posts
That sounds interesting.

It should be a fun hunt. I’m going with my hunting partners friends. We’re going to have 7 or 8 guys and three boats., but there’s a lot of water to cover.

Hopefully early November is better than the opener up there two weeks ago. Word on the internet is it was really slow. This place isn’t a secret or anything, usually it’s butts to nuts on the opener because it’s the first zone in the state and a lot of guys head there.

I didn’t hunt my zone’s opener this morning but going out tomorrow. I’m not seeing the duck numbers like usual though. I live between three small, private lakes. The one to the south they use as a loaf. The ones to the north are the roost. When I’m out bow hunting I usually see a few hundred a night fly over on their way to the roost. Tonight I only say about 30. Lots of local geese though, so that might be the play tomorrow, we’ll see.

18621 - 18640 of 18674 Posts