Duck Hunting Forum banner
18901 - 18920 of 18958 Posts

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Well I figured out which tips to put on the Tetras for my ears and how to get them in and to stay in.

That was part one. Took some time.

Then wore them around getting used to them before evening putting batteries in.

Added the batteries and wow! I must have some deafness cause lots of stuff was louder.

Grabbed the calls and went outside, again wow was lots of stuff louder, and my calling was no louder than before but it also wasn’t quieter or muffled sounding like with normal ear plugs. So I guess they are right, calling sounds the same.

Walked out to shoot yesterday. Again even my wife walking was kinda loud. Not that I can’t hear normally that normally, it’s just amplified. I imagine this is where heating quacks and wings will be improved.

Didn’t notice wind noise but could hear leaves rustling in the wind.

Anyways when shooting I guess I didn’t hear the initial noise, it must be somewhat cancelled. However the report was audible, I’d say it was a different tone/pitch than with foam plugs. Maybe crisper sounding.

Guess I’ll keep them past the 30 day return window and see what bird season brings.

Did notice when messing around the have 3 programs, gotta look into that as I thought it was only one program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well I figured out which tips to put on the Tetras for my ears and how to get them in and to stay in.

That was part one. Took some time.

Then wore them around getting used to them before evening putting batteries in.

Added the batteries and wow! I must have some deafness cause lots of stuff was louder.

Grabbed the calls and went outside, again wow was lots of stuff louder, and my calling was no louder than before but it also wasn’t quieter or muffled sounding like with normal ear plugs. So I guess they are right, calling sounds the same.

Walked out to shoot yesterday. Again even my wife walking was kinda loud. Not that I can’t hear normally that normally, it’s just amplified. I imagine this is where heating quacks and wings will be improved.

Didn’t notice wind noise but could hear leaves rustling in the wind.

Anyways when shooting I guess I didn’t hear the initial noise, it must be somewhat cancelled. However the report was audible, I’d say it was a different tone/pitch than with foam plugs. Maybe crisper sounding.

Guess I’ll keep them past the 30 day return window and see what bird season brings.

Did notice when messing around the have 3 programs, gotta look into that as I thought it was only one program.

You’re going to like them on a hunt. I have the Otto’s and have been really happy with them over the last three seasons.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Well we left the house at 6:30.

About 8 Game Fair posted online they were waiting until 12 due to rain.

So we found out when we went to park in a yard at 9.

Anyways it wasn’t much of a show IMO. Managed to grab a call and a headlamp I wasn’t looking for.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
This place is quiet for the season about to kick off

Went out this morning to scout and get the dog back in the habit of retrieving and navigating the dog ladder on the boat… he’s ready… the pup is jacked

·
Registered
742 Posts
Seems like the season sneaks up on me every year and I usually don’t t get too excited for early goose. Duck doesn’t open until mid October so I have some time.

First year out with the new dog so we’ll see how he does. He’s very steady in the yard but I do need to get him out on the boat. He’s got no issues jumping off the dock for a bumper or his frisbee so I don’t expect and issues transitioning to the boat. Also, got him gun conditioned a couple weeks ago. Barely a flinch on the first try. By the third retrieve he didn’t seem to care at all.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Well I guess Saturday will hopefully get a chance to work the dog on the ladder....the one dang thing I didn’t get done this year.

Gotta wash decoys this week. Scouted around. Not much for rice this year.

Worked out my the scouting stand today. Binos truing to focus through screen doesn’t work! Hopefully see some birds tonight.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Scouted around the N metro and saw more turkeys and sandhill cranes than anything else. No geese at all and about 3 dozen woodies at a spot that isn't legal to hunt. Going west to hunt teal/geese/doves and will be scouting the better part of Friday.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Saw a few flicks of geese this morning driving to work and heard some on the lake at 4 with the alarm.

Not much for teal. Saw more mallards and woodies and that wasn’t much. Might go watch tonight again.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Anyone get some doves today?

(Snickers in razorrts direction)
To put salt in the wound… called my brother on evening of the 1st and he was laughing and said “wait.. wait…” FaceTime me and him and a buddy decided since they were done working they’d sit in the front yard with some mojos, beer and the dogs he’s training to see what flew by…. They dropped 20 doves in 30 minutes

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Kinda the same here Butterball.

Wasn’t seeing much.

We played it extra safe and in hindsight probably let a few teal go.

Could have filled wood duck limits but not super crazy amounts and they flew longer than usual. Some ringers and mallards.

And the oddest was 2 goldeneyes didn’t it perfect and hung out in the decoys for a few minutes...Kona was mad.

Blues worked decent a little later though.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I was just thinking that someone should have started a 2022 picture thread by now. Nice to see some dead ducks. I’ve fought the urge to hunt geese in 90+ degrees this august. Instead I have put on nearly 1000 miles scouting for this season. Something I haven’t had to do in years. And now doves. Hopefully

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18,919 ·
To put salt in the wound… called my brother on evening of the 1st and he was laughing and said “wait.. wait…” FaceTime me and him and a buddy decided since they were done working they’d sit in the front yard with some mojos, beer and the dogs he’s training to see what flew by…. They dropped 20 doves in 30 minutes

Wait, Michigan HAS a dove season? I thought they didn't, that was why the snicker. Thought the city folk didn't want them shot

18901 - 18920 of 18958 Posts