Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm 16 and just getting into duck hunting. Here is a little video of the pond I'll be hunting at. It's on my own property so that will be easy. I am skilled enough with a shotgun because I have been skeet shooting for a couple years. Here's a little list of some questions.
1. What can I do to make it more enticing for ducks? I have seen a pair of mallards a few times a day but never more than 3 at a time.
2. Is it better to use a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun or is it personal preferance?
3. After you hit a duck, are you supposed to wait a certain amount of time before going to get it?
4. After you retrieve the duck to you have to gut it right then or can you put it in an ice chest and wait a few hours?
Cloud Water Sky Plant Natural landscape

·
Registered
265 Posts
12 or 20 is preference, generally a 12ga is more common and ammo options for waterfowl. Go after ducks immediately and be prepared for finishing shots on cripples.

You can wait to gut your birds but the sooner the better. If it is cool out no need for ice.

More water would make it more enticing, but may not be possible?

Hide yourself well and enjoy!

·
Administrator
42,620 Posts
A LOT depends on if there is anything in the area (within a mile or so) that does draw a lot of birds. Refuge, Food/AG, Rivers (especially that don't freeze), etc.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Welcome to the frustrating and expensive world of duck hunting. I love it and hopefully you will. My answers:

1. It is a small pond so not really much you can do other than plant some sort of vegetation that will feed the birds. I am not an expert on what to plant but there are plenty of options out there online.
2. Personal preference.
3. No, its the opposite. If you don't retrieve a wounded duck quickly, you may lose it. If it is dead, just let if float until you get a break in birds flying as long as you know what kind it is and stay under your limit.
4. If not too hot, you can wait a few hours but as previously stated. The sooner the better.

I hope this helps and enjoy the sport.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A LOT depends on if there is anything in the area (within a mile or so) that does draw a lot of birds. Refuge, Food/AG, Rivers (especially that don't freeze), etc.
I am in central texas so nothing around freezes. there are not any rivers or anything like that around but there is a pond about a mile away that I often see half a dozen ducks at. unfortunately I cannot hunt on that property.

·
Administrator
42,620 Posts
I am in central texas so nothing around freezes. there are not any rivers or anything like that around but there is a pond about a mile away that I often see half a dozen ducks at. unfortunately I cannot hunt on that property.
I had a very small pond that I made and pumped water into during the season. A little larger than your pic but don't know if you captured the entire hole. The only reason it was successful was it was adjacent to a protected wetland so birds used the area often and had multiple ponds to rest and roost. It was also close to active farmland so there was good bird "traffic". Wasn't ever going to pull down birds from up high nor attract bringing down more than a 1/2 dozen birds from a flock of 15-20.

In order for a small spot like that to work, you have to have birds in the area all the time. But even then, you have to be careful not to burn it out. You might see a nesting pair this Spring but usually ducks will mate anywhere. I see them at a Wendy's drive through in the bushes every year as well as a neighbors back yard in suburbia...lol.

Personally I'd figure out how to plant for Doves there.

·
Registered
25,368 Posts
In order for a small spot like that to work, you have to have birds in the area all the time.
To expand on this.

A half dozen ducks on a nearby pond is not "having birds in n the area."

Get up before sunrise and drive the area and see what is flying around. You might be surprised. Hopefully. If you are not seeing quite a few ducks flying around, you just don't have huntable numbers. Now of course they migrate, so they can be here today gone tomorrow. But now is probably your best time.

Also, use the satellite imagery. Google Earth is your friend. Is there water in the area? Go scout those areas. Temporary sheet water can hold birds.

One little pond with one little pond nearby with 6 ducks. That's not going to work.

I was in Lubbock a month ago. Tons oh cranes and geese, so who knows in your area. There needs to be something around to hold thousands of birds. 100 here. 100 there. See if you have that first.

Otherwise keep an eye on your pond and if you see a few ducks on it. Sneak down and shoot a few.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts