Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a duck hunting dog, but i dont know what to get. I have a shorthair that we use for pheasant hunting, but she doesnt like the cold water very much. i love watching the dog work, and i would like a duck dog, but i dont know what kind to get. Is it worth the money and training to get another?
All help is appreciated.
Thanks,
David

·
Registered
294 Posts
Duck Slayer,

Hope we can help. Take the time to read through the various threads in here. You'll find a bunch of information. The most popular waterfowl dog is the Labrador, but other good breeds exist...boykins, chessies, etc.

Here's the best info I feel I can provide...take the time to THOROUGHLY research the various breeds. Once you select a breed, take the time to THOROUGHLY research reputable breeders/kennels of the selected breed. Once you narrow your search of breeders, try to ask as many questions as possible. If the breeder is worth his salt, he'll take as much time and be incredibly patient with you.

I'm a lab guy. I like their overall hunting ability and disposition. If you go the lab route, I highly recommend keeping an open mind as to American vs British...HT/FT vs proven hunting stock. Again, search this forum and you'll find PLENTY of discussion.

As far as your question about the money. That's your choice. What I will tell you is that if you cannot devote the time, patience, and overall dedication to training your own pup, yes it's well worth the money to pay a trainer. However, if you do get a trainer to do that I suggest your continued involvement in the dog's process. It's very rewarding to be a part of the dog's growth and it further cements your bond.

Keep the questions coming!

Mike

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
You have many choices.
Labs
Chessies
Tollers
Boykins
Pudelpointers
Deutsch Drahthaars (SP) I can never remember the spelling of those German Dawgs. :oops:

Taddy gave you some good sound advice. Follow that and you'll be on your way to having a fine Duck Dawg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.