Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Rivermaster:

Looks like you are going to be in the same boat I am in, waiting till summer to get a dog and not having one hunt ready until the 2009 hunting season, take the time to watch videos and read all you can if you are going to train one yourself. I am finally finding many other breeders through the internet and could possibly get one sooner, but when you find a future litter you like does not hurt to have patience. The litter you are waiting on looks to be a good one. After more reflection on this last hunting season on my part it would probably behoove me to wait until late summer to get a pup and in the mean time head to the gun club and start shooting some sporting clays!

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
900.00 Gheesss Louiseee -> I saw nothing of notablility in Trappers accomplishments to warrant this kind of money. I might be impressed w/ FC-AFC-CFC-CAFC behind his name, otherwise - I'd research a little further. That's a whole bunch of money - I had a chance to purchase a pup from a 3 time Grand 1000 pt champion for that price and no other Chessie in the world has ever done that.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I almost shelled out a $1,000.00 for one from Atlantic Flyway gundogs but when talking to the breeder about transfering the money I asked him if both sire and dam had the OFA clearance and he said the sire did not and I should not worry about it and I said I wouldnt worry about it cause the deal was off.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Well Buckmiester - you are wise to wait and be patient. While I know you WANT a freakin' pup NOW! We got Jaz for 350.00 and Bro's for 300.00, but I had to do the dew claws which was pretty expensive by the time we did it. I talked to her trainer last night- remember, she's in Seattle and I'm in Memphis. He had nothing but praise for her. Said, she was so small at 45lb that onlookers think she's a 6 mo old pup, until she takes off running. He said, she's faster than a cat - and people came up to him asking, how did you get a pup to do all that. . . Then he tells them she's 1.5 yr old in advanced level training. He also said that she's got two big males on either side of her in the kennel and when he feeds them, she's like spider woman on the fence growling at the males- he said, man - they don't want nothing to do with that tight wound female. I'm proud of her, and I miss working her, but heck - I guess I need to do some sporting clays too. . .

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
in the uk you can expect to pay from $13-1600 for a full pedigree chessie pup from a reputable breeder,i paid $1300 for my bitch pup and im sure she will be worth every penny of it ,so far im over the moon with her,shes now 5month old now,i call her rosie. :smile:

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Wow, that's amazing I didn't realize that. . . I suppose there's so many Lab's over there. What would a comparable lab cost? The Chessie is the first American bred retriever. AND - We'd love to see the photo of your Rosie

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
thanks mac,a full pedigree kc reg lab in the uk will set you back between $850 averidge to $1000 top whack for a pup.,"fox red"seems to be the "in"color for labs just now over here.,im just about to sell mine -fox red for $1000 3year old -without papers-but fully trained.
id love to show a picture of my little gal on here ,when i figure out how to post a picture i will and thats a promise! :huh:

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Of course young man - we are all responsible for our own money and the decisions on spending the money thereof. No harm or interference intended - just an opinion from a 25 yr chessie owner. As you see, in the UK it is common to spend the higher $$ and as far as I know, you might be from UK, AUS or whatever.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
$900 is not a bad price for pups out of that breeding, it might be a little high being the bitch is untitled. You have to realize what it cost breeders to put health clearences on there dogs, OFA $250 CERF $50, PRA $225 not to mention titles. I would bet Trappers stud fee is around $1000, he made the derby list and is QAA and also has open and amature placements, I would put that as equal or above any HRC title.
A breeder not having dew claws removed on there pups would send up a red flag in my mind right away, they ussually do that during first round of shots. Don't get me wrong you can get good dogs cheap but your odds are way better out of a litter like the one listed above.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Yea CDK, I'm with ya. My first female came from champion stuff - Jakes Elijah and Chipewa Chief back in the early 80s (350.00), we only had pups from her until they all died off - this last year and my Bro and I both surprised each other with a pup from local litters where we live, pedigrees not all that great - but both are very good dawgs in the field. Jaz will be MH - because I'll pay for her to get there.

So tell me? what are you going to charge for your pups this summer?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well if everthing goes right and the breeding takes I will be asking $700, should be some very intence smaller sized chessies, the male I am breeding to is a young SH, 70 pound fireball, the female is 64 pounds and is a little more laid back but both of her parents are pretty high dogs (Bear is her dad). Parents will have OFA, CERF, PRA, pups will have up to date shots and dews removed. I would'nt reccomend this litter to someone looking for a laid back dog, they should be high drive dogs.
Chip and Jake can be found in most of todays top feild peakes pedigrees if you go back far enough, I bet she was a hell of a dog.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Man, I appreciate the fact that you knew the herritage. I am starting to pay attention to it a little more. I just didn't realize that the price of "our" brown dawgs was up there like that. I am trying to go back and find all the paperwork from the past. I took one of our current dogs back and found a distant relative to our first female. I think my whole mantra with CBRs is there are so few registered each year that the pedigree is not as important. . . Don't know!

Jaz wouldn't win any show dog stuff, but her heart is chessie through and through. "IF" she gets her AKC/UKC cert's I will breed her out like you are doing. I want to keep informed of your progress w/ pics (of course)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds good, I'm kind of a pedigree nut, mabe you've been to it www.chessiedb.org this is a great site for reseaching pedigrees the OFA website works well also. Even though alot of chessie people like to boost that there is not a split in our breed, there still is definete show and feild lines. The difference is that most all show lines will still hunt, and the majority of feild lines can still produce a bench champ. I've found that the main difference betrween the show and feild lines is energy level, the feild lines tend to be a little higher drive and retrieve desire. That of course is just a generalization, there are exceptions to every rule.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MacMan said:
Of course young man - we are all responsible for our own money and the decisions on spending the money thereof. No harm or interference intended - just an opinion from a 25 yr chessie owner. As you see, in the UK it is common to spend the higher $$ and as far as I know, you might be from UK, AUS or whatever.

:thumbsup:
Indiana

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
CDK said:
Sounds good, I'm kind of a pedigree nut, mabe you've been to it www.chessiedb.org this is a great site for reseaching pedigrees the OFA website works well also. quote]

CDK - I'm looking for a pedigree of a brown dawg named Daisy - she's still alive and has had a couple of litters that I know of. She was 3 time Grand Hunting champ. There's too many Daisys - I don't have any other info. This was the one that pups cost 1k.

Here was my first bitch:

Eustatia Elijah Nirvana {Dark Deadgrass F} 1984/01/20 AKC:SE010745 Studbook:6-94 COI:11.2%
CH Jake's Elijah WDQ2 *** x Chip's Selene Of Nirvana

I would liked to have had her now that I am mature enough to manage the dog that she was.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am sorry I came out swinging... My bad!! I hope Fever (my first chessie pup) will become a tough S.O.B. I am sure she will, talk to some guys that own chessies, and they said I picked a great litter. The breeder is a honest guy, he has answered all my emails that I have sent him, probably 10 emails already... I am just ready to get this pup and get to training her.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
No problem man - you have a fellow "brown dawg" owner/friend. I am learning and will always be willing to share and ask "what's up" BTW --> we are "related" - through the CBR line!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.