Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wandering your guys opiniun on getting a dog fixed. i've heard it decreases thier drive to hunt, heck i know it would decrease mine. makes me cringe just thinking about it. so what do you think?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i completely disagree. my lab is almost 9 years old and has been fixed for years. i can't get the shotgun down or the bumpers out without him acting like a 2 year puppy again. i think that drive is always there, especially if the owner continues to nurture it throughout the dog's life.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Getting a dog "fixed" you don't have any intention on breeding. Definitely GOOD. I'm guessing by your post that you are talking about a male, so here are your benefits. Fewer dog fights, calmer in the house usually, in some cases they lose the desire to pee on everything, no chance of producing unwanted puppies (which would benefit the world!). If the dog has good breeding behind it and a strong drive, neutering will not hurt the dog's ability.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
the weight gain is a tough one. i can't say i had problems with it because my dog probably would have gotten to the weight he is now either way. he is just an "eater". when he goes to his food bowl, he doesn't stop until finished. it could be 5 lbs of dog food, he doesn't care. his dad was 120lbs and he is 128lbs (was up to 134) so i think that is where he is supposed to be....

·
Registered
109 Posts
I say this with all due respect. Unless you have a registered dog with great breeding and all the health certs, eyes, hips, ect. and you intend to breed him the best thing to do is neuter him. There are a lot of reasons most mentioned above and I can tell you from first hand experience it does nothing to their desire to hunt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
gsphunter said:
Getting a dog "fixed" you don't have any intention on breeding. Definitely GOOD. I'm guessing by your post that you are talking about a male, so here are your benefits. Fewer dog fights, calmer in the house usually, in some cases they lose the desire to pee on everything, no chance of producing unwanted puppies (which would benefit the world!). If the dog has good breeding behind it and a strong drive, neutering will not hurt the dog's ability.
I agree with gsphunter. Another thing I've noticed with my dogs after they were neutered is that they concentrate on training, and listen better to comands. They haven't been as scatter brained, sniffing everything, and wondering around.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
royst,

you can typically have females spayed around 4 months of age. some vets like to wait until they go into heat the first time but it's not necessary. just make sure she has all of her shots before hand and they can take care of her.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Shrpshtr: I've never heard anybody say to let a dog come into season before you spay them. Just wandering where/who you heard this from. There are many health benefits for your dog if you do this before they come into season for the first time. This is why I am wandering why someone would say to wait until after the first heat. Just curious.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
gsphunter said:
Shrpshtr: I've never heard anybody say to let a dog come into season before you spay them. Just wandering where/who you heard this from. There are many health benefits for your dog if you do this before they come into season for the first time. This is why I am wandering why someone would say to wait until after the first heat. Just curious.
i called a close friend of mine who is a vet. he told me that was a common practice. i, as does my vet, agrees that you should have them fixed before the first heat. but it is a common practice nonetheless.

·
Registered
924 Posts
It would be criminal for me not to continue his line.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree with bruce 100%. If you do not test the dog, have previous agreements with the breeder, or have been breeding dogs for a long time, then your dog is just like every other lab out there. I know that makes alot of people mad, but there are WAY to many back yard breeders and whatever justice people think they are doing by breading their dog is really not true. Leave the breeding to the professionals. On another note there are way to many good things that come from neutering a dog.(Most have been mentioned)

·
Registered
14,647 Posts
Fix'em all. We are killing dogs by the millions and many of them are pure bred dogs. A wise person advised me once that if I want a dog like the one I have, go back to the same breeder.

A fixed dog is more pleasant to have around also. No heat cycles, no Mississippi Leg Hound behavior.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.