Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
three part question. 1) I am thinking of getting a dog for hunting. all I do is Goose, duck and pheasant hunt. any suggestions of what kind of dog I should get that could handle doing all three?

2) when should I buy (how long before the season)

3) should I buy male or female?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been training/hunting for years and here's my take.

I've bred labs and only labs, and our blacks worked great for all three species. Just tougher to find a better dog in my opinion.

I found getting a dog in the middle of the winter is good, as you can give it a lot of attention and by the time they're 3-5 months old you can start training when it gets nice in the spring. After working on the dog you can give it some time in the fall hunting, but with patience of course. ;)

I've always preferred females myself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree labs are without a question the best all around hunting dogs. I have been hunting and training for years as well and there is not a better dog out there than the good old fasion black lab. I feel that the best time to get a puppy is right now, or mabye even a month sooner. I like to introduce dogs to water early. During this time of your you also have an abundance of dove,teal, and other birds to introduce your new puppy to birds. this will put your puppy at about 14 months old for it's first duck season. I personally prefer a male though females are easier to train in my opinion. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Go with a Lab and buy it around augest. at about 6 to 9 weeks old. I breed Labs and have them for sale about that time if your interested let me know. My dogs an awsome hunter for geese,ducks, and phesant. I would go with a black or chocolate of camoflauge. If your calling in ducks and you yave a blonde dog sitting by the shore the ducks may get weary.
I'd go with a female allthough a nudered male is not too bad.... Males will pee on anything that he can pee on.

Mallyard 8)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a golden retriever and I love her to death. She hunts both Pheasant and Duck great and is the easiest to train of any dog I have ever seen. I am sure good hunting labs are easier to find than Goldens bred to hunt, but if you look hard you can find some great kennels with outstanding dogs that are not only great hunters, but the best of family dogs. However, I can't knock a good lab.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey im looking for a good young dog that i can start to raise and later on bread, eventually i want to start breeding and selling the dogs for the green so i can buy my boat i want. email me if u have suggestions... [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would probably agree that a Chessy or Lab is the best waterfowl dog but best all around, i don't think so. I am getting my German Wirehaired Pointer puppy in a month and i have heard great things about them. Most say they are wonderful waterfowl dogs and are without a doubt one of the best upland game hunters. So in my opinion a breed like this is much more versatile if you plan to hunt waterfowl and upland game.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would buy anything but a lab, everybody else has one, at least around here, and they are good hunting dogs, but so are allot of other breeds, theres just a ton more labs around, I don't think a lab is any better or easeir to train, actually I've trained a bunch of dogs, and every chesapeake that I've had learned way faster than every lab, I guess it's probably a matter of opinion, but I've had alot of dogs, labs included, and they by far weren't the best, and any large dog should be able to bring back a goose. or anything else for that matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
chesies are a volitile breed that won't take near the pressure a lab will . tend to shut down after corrections during training . my 70 lb chocolate male has retrieved all my geese this year just fine and recently started pointing pheasants so for an all round upland ,water and family dog the lab can't be beat in this shooters mind

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've seen some dogs **** down like that under pressure, but never a chessie, all the chessie's I've trained have been actually easy, pick stuff up pretty quick, some people say there hard headed, but I'd say I'd rather have a dog that rememberd stuff I taught it verses a lab that tends to forget lessons from time to time, and besides, any hunting dog period in my mind should be able to bring back a large goose. there all big enough too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have a golden retriever and he is a very good hunting and family dog. He is excellent at retrieving krippled birds far out in the lakes. He also is good in the field for pheasants and other game. i would get the dog in the middle or at the end of the season and train him all year so you can be ready for next season.

·
Registered
4 Posts
puddler i've heard that goldens have trouble with the cold water as far as their coats holding it.and aren't burrs apain in the upland ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
i dont think that chessies necessarily fold under pressure it is just that in my opinoin that they dont respond to heavy handed training, and then dont respect those who do not treat them with respect. Chessies take correction fine what they dont take well is punishment during training. The chessie usually shuts down to a trainer who has lost thier cool and is frustrated and i gaurentee that they can read that you are.[/quote]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Avoid the temptation and don't get a dog around the holidays (Thanksgiving -New Years).
I happen to be a Lab person , they fill the bill for what you want to hunt, but that being said there are other breeds that could do what you want too. But make mine a lab.
As far as male or female it doesn't matter too much as long as you do your homework and find a good breeder that breeds for the traights you want in a dog. Make sure you get gaurantee on hips, elbows and eyes. Look around ask alot of questions. One traight I see that is being overlooked is a good nose. Does the breeder stand by the dog sold to you to hunt ,that is the ability to scent birds? Again do your homework, there are breeders out there that do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
l am professional hunter and gundog trainer from Turkey.Please try Drahthaars but the original one the ''VDD''.l am hunting wildboar,bear,roebuck,waterfowl,woodcock,rock partridge,quail,pheasent and hare with them.Unbeliaveble breed.
Good Hunting
Turkey-istanbul
M.Uğur BARUTCU

·
Registered
2 Posts
This forum is biased toward labs, and rightly so, since most users are waterfowlers. However, I think the best all-around hunting dog is a Vizsla. This breed is a Hungarian pointer, that does PHENONENALLY on upland birds. It points and retrieves beautifully. I have also trained mine for water retieves, so he is also a great waterfowling dog.

For more info, check into vizslas on the AKC site or at the Vizsla Club of America site (www.vca.org).

·
Registered
59 Posts
But can a vizsla handle the fridged cold water temps like a lab or chessie?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really thick, waterproof coats protect most water retrievers from severe cold. Vizslas can handle the water, but I would not keep mine in severely cold water for extended times. Thorough drying and vest or blanket coverage would also help. Also, there is a wire-haired type vizsla that may be better. I don't know much on it though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
me myself I have a Lab he is a great all around dog and is extreamly hard working I am not going to say they are the best dogs out there because there is a lot of breeds but for me he is just what I wanted. AND skendus the www.vca.org is the Vanished Children's Alliance just so you know. :smile:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts