Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting my 1st GWH December 14th, I have always owned Lab's, so with all that said and done, I know there is alot to learn ( yes I have done my homework ) just curious what should be my 1st basic's on starting my GWH on the right track from actual owners instead of what the book says.
Yes I did search around, yes I did do my homework, I weighed out worrying about getting a show dog, knowing that I will never show, I am only interested in a good all around hunt dog. The breeder which does not show, only hunts, so I know these dogs are true hunter's..I am getting a female, ( I requested Female ) why? cause I heard they mature faster.
Will I breed her, if she becomes a good hunt dog, the breeder I bought her from told me he would stud her with his GWH if she showed great hunting skills.
the breeder is: www.briarridgekennels.com out os S.C.

So, anyone want to share your POSITIVE thoughts on helping me?

· Registered
271 Posts
You're on the right track, that is for sure. With as much ground work as you have done it shows that you've got what it takes to get it done. That should put your mind at ease knowing that the chances are everything is going to turn out just right, but it won't. You'll constantly sweat it wondering if you are doing the right thing. That is the way it is supposed to be, just ensures your success.

Training for the first few months should be:

* Obedience for a few minutes a couple of times a day beginning the DAY you bring her home. This should be in line with how you will hunt the dog later on. Teach her "how to learn" now so that she is adept at it later.

* Socialization, get her used to other people, other dogs, and start letting her know who the boss is in a very gentle way.

* Environmental, start putting her in as many different situations as you can, situations she might or might not encounter when she is older. Gets her used to things so there are no shockers later on. Little things like camo, trucks, guns, boxes, birds....the list goes on

Training hunting dogs is a blast, have fun with it!

:thumbsup:

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the feed back, it is always welcomed in my book. I actually leased some hunting land for deer hunting & bird hunting among other small game just for getting ready for my GWH. I plan on taking her to the property and get her aquainted with smell's, the woods, small critters, quail, dove & deer..I am very excited to have the opportunity to give this dog more training than I could with my lab's. Most the time I sent them off for 3 or 4 months getting retrieves, marks and such. Of course I did the initial training up to 3 months which house breaking, crate, healing, basic obidience has always come easy for me. I never had the land to train them, but now, I invested the money not only for a good dog but for having a place to train as well.. hopefully the GWH will teach me afew things as well....Happy Hunting..

· Registered
271 Posts
And remember that training a bird dog is different in many respects than training and working a retriever. You having that land and her being able to spend time there romping and training will be big.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you on the land being a big part of training..
Do you know of any places where a novice GWH owner can go to get some hands on? Say within the GA-AL-TN-SC-NC

· Registered
135 Posts
Call jeff Funke out of Idaho. He breeds GWP's and trains them only for hunting. A very nice guy. He will tell you all you need to train your GWP He doesnt push his training he thinks its great when someone trains their own. pm me if you cant find him on the net I have his # here somewhere

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.