Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night my dog got into a skunk pretty bad. it was ~1:30, I was half asleep, and not quite sure what to do. I filled a bucket with warm water and a high concentration of Simple Green and gave her 2 bubble baths with it. The solution took the smell right out and her coat is soft and shiny today. That stuff is amazing. Over the weekend I washed my truck with it and it too looks great. Anyway, I had never heard of it before but it worked just as well or better than any tomatoe juice. I thought it might help someone out down the road.

-Matt

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hey harvey, the only thing that i would be concerned about, would be that the simple green might have removed the natural oils in the dogs skin. She might start getting dry flaky skin under her coat. I was told by my vet to be carefull using shampoo's and other things that could remove the natural oils from the dog. These oils are what helps them in the cold water.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ACE,

1st priority was getting that nasty smell off. She'll get the oils back. I can wait for that much easier than waiting for the smell to go away. You've got a good point though and I hadn't thought of that. I'll throw a little oil in her food to help her out. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
harvey, any harsh soaps like that will do just what ace said. i understand that was a time sensitive situation though. i haven't had to deal with a skunk but i heard the tomato juice trick really does work. btw, raw eggs in dog food help with the oil issue too...

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I uderstand about the smell, and might have done the exact same thing. I just wanted you to be aware. I was watching the retriever journal show awhile back and they have a vet session. the vet said that they have done unscientific tests on a lot of different stuff to get skunk smell out. He said that tomato juice had absolutely no effect on the smell. He went on to some kind of home made concoction that i can't remember. I hope that i never have to find out.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Hydrogen Peroxide (like at the drug store) works wonders.

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
a squirt of liquid dish soap

Sponge on and let soak for a few minutes and then rinse off.

Repeat if necessary.

Just be really carefull if the dog gets sprayed in the face--very sensitive areas-eyes especially, as with any chemicals/shampoos.

Also the above is good stuff on hand on the Fall hunting trips. Make up a a little kit with first aid stuff for the dog, and have the above ingrediants and a small bucket, sponge, and rubber gloves for your hands. A 12 qt bucket with a lid and handle works well as you can stuff the above things into it just for in case. A rubber apron and boots is nice too--as the dogs love to shake off and the skunk smell gets on you and it it a hard to get off of poorus materials like your pants/shirt. As always, being prepared for the worst and expecting the best is the best policy on hunting trips.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
ACEBLDRS said:
I uderstand about the smell, and might have done the exact same thing. I just wanted you to be aware. I was watching the retriever journal show awhile back and they have a vet session. the vet said that they have done unscientific tests on a lot of different stuff to get skunk smell out. He said that tomato juice had absolutely no effect on the smell. He went on to some kind of home made concoction that i can't remember. I hope that i never have to find out.
hmm, my vet and many others recommend using tomato juice. you'd think animal medical professionals would be in agreement on it...

http://www.ehow.com/how_117301_remove-skunk-odor.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used the above recipe and it works great!!! Special note, DO NOT pre mix the stuff it expands/explodes in the container. Second use dawn dish soap it works best. I don't know why but it just does.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have also heard that tomato juice does not work, My lab has been sprayed by skunk's twice. Cursed verman, there is nothing worse than that. I took mine out and ran him in the slough's through the thick heavy muck, and it seemed to work. I don't know if there ios some sort of acid stuff in all the dead vegitation, in the muck or not, all I know it did work. Best thing to do is stay away from the piss kitty's if you can :laughing: :thumbsup: :laughing:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
admin2 said:
Hydrogen Peroxide (like at the drug store) works wonders.

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
a squirt of liquid dish soap

Sponge on and let soak for a few minutes and then rinse off.

Repeat if necessary.

Just be really carefull if the dog gets sprayed in the face--very sensitive areas-eyes especially, as with any chemicals/shampoos.

Also the above is good stuff on hand on the Fall hunting trips. Make up a a little kit with first aid stuff for the dog, and have the above ingrediants and a small bucket, sponge, and rubber gloves for your hands. A 12 qt bucket with a lid and handle works well as you can stuff the above things into it just for in case. A rubber apron and boots is nice too--as the dogs love to shake off and the skunk smell gets on you and it it a hard to get off of poorus materials like your pants/shirt. As always, being prepared for the worst and expecting the best is the best policy on hunting trips.
So thats how they get yellow labs :laughing: I always wondered. :laughing: Some fish oil / cod liver oil in your dogs food will help with the oils and condition of its coat. This is what we used on **** hounds all the time especially when doing bench shows with them cause it makes their coats glisten. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
an update:

it's been almost a week since the skunk incedent and subsequent Simple Green washing. No dander flakes or dry skin, and definately no skunk smell. I'm sticking with Simple Green if the situation ever comes up again. That stuff is like liquid duct tape.

-Matt

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
harvey1b said:
That stuff is like liquid duct tape.

-Matt
Thanks matt. That is funny. It's good to know that it didn't do anything to your dogs coat. I'll have to put some simple green behind my truck seat right next to my roll uf duct tape and bailin wire. :toofunny:

·
Registered
34 Posts
The tomatoe juice will work but it takes several wsahings adn a lot of juice.
Dawn dishwashing liquid takes the oil out, that is what it is made to do. Simple Green is the same. Main thing is get the stink out adn NOW.
Afterwards, add some fish oil or good old bacon grease to the food and the coat will be fine. And your dog will love the bacon greas poured over dry food. Fish canned cat food will do the trick also.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
giving your dog a spoon of olive oil a day works great to. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
976 Posts
I was wondering who was going to be the first lucky owner of the summer to deal with this! glad it worked out!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.