Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Without going into a huge debate...
Many scientists think that Global warming is just part of the overall weather trnds the earth always experiences, not a long term overall warming of the earth. To study a 20 year trend on very small warming patterns and say its a long term pattern,, is to see 1 duck and say that 500 more should be following.
Faulty Logic.

Just because my high schoolbiology teacher told me its true...doesn't make it true.

PB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something interesting is happening in Alaska. The Native language in the far north does not have a word for the bird we call a robin. yet they are now showing up in the far north where they have never been seen before. Are theese harbigers of atypical warming trends above the Artic circle?

·
Registered
14 Posts
So what actually is the cause for the global warming? Also, does this have anything to do with the hole in the ozone layer? I have recently been thinking about the global warming issue, and the greenhouse effect. If these are in fact combined with the hole in the ozone, I have an interesting theory. Man has been on this land for a long time. All of the sudden there is a hole in the ozone. My personal opinion is that it has very little to do with pollution and a whole lot to do with the fact that we keep launching satelites and space shuttles right through it. I think that NASA has created these holes and in turn blame it on pollution. This keeps everyone at bay from pointing a finger directly at them. Conspiracy....maybe. Thats my thoughts however, thanks for reading. Any feedback on this would be great. I do not know a lot on this issue, but would be willing to learn new ideas. I know for me though, I am freezing my %#@ off, and waiting for a time to go hunt!

·
Registered
109 Posts
If, and I do mean If, global warming is going to be a factor in duck populations it probably would have less to do with breeding enviroment and more to do with migration patterns. In any event I won't be here to see it so therefor I think I'll go hunting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a hole in the Ozone, and unlike a balloon, putting things through it doesn't make holes. Ozone is a gas and this gas and others make up a protective layer over the lower atmosphere. Like walking through the room, through hydrogen, oxygen etc...the shuttles and satellites don't make holes.

the ozone layer is broken up by chemicals. The old propellants, containing CFC's (chloroflourocarbons) were 1 culprit of contributing to the problem.(grandma's can of Aqua net hairspray for example- and old style air conditioners)
yes there is a hole, but its relatonship to the theory(yes theory-not fact) of global warming is tenative.

I'm not a scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last november. :mrgreen:

I suspect that, like most environmental issues, the main problem is habitat encroachment by humans. when we pave over wetlands, and don't replace them, population density and distribution changes.

again- not a scientist!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey pastor,
Thanks for the info. I will be checking out those sites later on this evening. But I still beleive that the rockets play a factor. Even if them moving through it does not effect it, then what about the exhaust from the aircraft? Thanks for the info however, I really want to learn more.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Global warming is a fact, not as you might call it a natural process of warming and cooling. Sure we can burry our heads in the sand and pretend that it is not happening, but that does nothing to slow the rate of warming, or repair the hole on the O3 layer, or replenish the blue green algae in the oceans etc. Any one can find a website to support their cause. My recommendation is to contact some people studying this issue directly at a major university. University of Washington has a very good department and several doctors who are continually putting on seminars on their findings.

P.S. I didn't sleep at Holliday inn last night, but I am a graduate with an environmental biology major and a masters degree in urban and regional planning.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I live in Ellensburg. Tonight it's minus 4 with more snow coming by the weekend. Right now I'm not buyin' the global warming thing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
-4 or 5? Either way, one reading doesn't matter. Just because it might hit -15 doesn't mean that we're heading for an ice age. You need to look at records kept over years and ice formations prior to that as well as CO2 levels, sea levels,

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry for cut in the middle of the sentence, my kids are having issues. I don't have the expertise in global warming, but I do know the proper way to research something and who to listen to and who not to. Personally, I believe that global warming is a reality (weather it's man caused, natural or a little of both) and we have to learn to live with it and adapt as best we can.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Mud, I'm not qualified either to make a guess. But I can tell you this. I lived in the Tri Cities from 1960 to 1984. I never thought it was a very cold place. I don't ever remember it even getting into the teens back then and snow if it came never lasted. I seems it's a regular thing now. Then again age fogs the mind. And I'm not going to base my thinking on something Hollywood pumps out i.e. day after tommorrow. I'm not saying you are doing this understand.

·
Registered
118 Posts
nova,
One possible good thing about going into a warm spell is that many scientists predict that initially, increased ice melt means more moisture in the atmosphere, which in turn means that early on in the winters, more snow is a possibility. Lord knows how much we need the snow now.

To go full circle, I have noticed in the past 20 years that it seams like the ducks are flying further west and east and not as much down the central part of the state. I've always assumed it was a combination of later cold spells and a change in farming. Are you seeing any northerns in your part yet? I'm just starting to see them here in Wenatchee. I spotted several rafts of over 300 ducks on the Columbia yesterday. Hopefully they're still there when I go out on Saturday. I'm really tired of hunting the locals, they know where all the blinds are and adjust their flight patterns accordingly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
OZONE AND THE DUCK FACTOR:
There is indeed a hole in the ozone layer. Ever since they punched a whole in it the ducks have been escaping. No kidding, I'm seeing very few ducks and when I do see them they are flying high, looking for the ozone hole. Heat from burning rocket fuel has warmed the area just outside the ozone and created a wonderful year-round summer haven for ducks.
I'm no scientist, but I do play one on tv (actually I do play a salesman on tv but close enough, eh?)

-shep

·
Registered
82 Posts
Shep, How do we stop this. It seems to me that Ducks Unlimited should be doing something to stop this. But they're probably working on flooded ozone complexes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for keeping it light! This is an issue that over time, we'll probably know more, as we get more data and more study.

My point in the beginning, as it relates to the duck factor is that when we assume things like global warming are true, then our conclusions about its effects on the population are aligned accordingly. If the factors that mud duck mentioned are to keep increasing, then maybe we are headed ther, but now, even scientists with no specific enviromental agenda are slow to say that the global trends we see are a larger pattern. Stuff like the Kyoto declarations are a place to start, not a place to end.
PB

·
Registered
82 Posts
Shep,
Your a TV pitchman and you can't convince your wife you NEED a Lab! Gee, I was thinking of hirirng you to pitch my new "flux capaciter" but I'm not sure now.
Nova

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.