Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my 1st trip there in a couple weeks and could always use more tips and or info anyone would be kind enough to share. Were staying in Steele, so we will be going from that area. Thanks in advance!!!!!!! :salude:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I hope you're not staying at the Lone Steer Motel. The lady who owns it is, well, let's just say not a person I like nor support.

Lots of leased land south of there, we normally stay far away. Water condtions are very poor in the southern part of the state all summer, and getting drenched lately. You'll probably find yourself scouting/hunting mostly north.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Kind of a cliche' when a guy travels, but it it the truth, bring more than enough clothes. I am on the ND/SD border and it was in the low 90's four days ago, this early morning it is in the upper 40's. In a couple weeks heaven only knows what the weather/temps will be like.

Remember, if your in ND you are likely to come to the belief that their ain't a hundred acres of standing trees between you and the north pole, the wind is always a factor.

Best of luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey chris, can you give some more details on that Lone Steer Motel. That IS where were I booked our motel--Now I'm worried. Can you elaborate on your post as to why you disagree, cause I sure dont want to support someone who we shouldnt support ( if Ya know what I mean) Send me a PM.............Thanks OTDRSMN :salude: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I usually goto Nodak once a year. There is ampil opportunity up there, if the birds are there (Ducks). Last year I went the 3rd week of October and the waterfowl hunting was meger at best ,so we hung up the decoys fired up the pointers and had the best year ever Pheasant hunting, all in all we went home very happy... GOTTA LOVE NODAK!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, Im pretty pumped for my trip there--cant wait to see what its all about!! From the reports that i've been reading, they're doin pretty well so far. :salude:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Opener was awesome, but this weekend was slooooooow. I don't know where the birds went, but they weren't thick like last week. I think it was mainly becuase there wasn't as much pressure this weekend compared to last (go figure since it was non-res opener) All the birds were holding to the big water and there wasn't anyone around to push them off. Hope you guys have good luck when you get here...maybe the cold weather will push down some fresh birds for ya. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
ND_Duckslayer said:
Opener was awesome, but this weekend was slooooooow. I don't know where the birds went, but they weren't thick like last week. I think it was mainly becuase there wasn't as much pressure this weekend compared to last (go figure since it was non-res opener) All the birds were holding to the big water and there wasn't anyone around to push them off. Hope you guys have good luck when you get here...maybe the cold weather will push down some fresh birds for ya. :thumbsup:
I think they came to So.Dak.! I smacked them last Wednesday! Got my limit. Had a great time.

Jeff

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, I thought they mighta got pushed down to Sodak already, but I wasn't sure. Guess we'll have to wait for the Canadian migrants now :welcome:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys, for all the reports, I was just curious what we'll be lookin at! I'm pretty sure that even if its a bad day in Nodak, it will be way better than a half decent day in PA. we just dont get the birds you do!! C-Yunz-round :thumbsup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
so u r saying that all the res pressure has pushed them south
da*n residents :laughing:
just kidding :getdown: :salude:

·
Registered
54 Posts
oh there are still plenty of ducks around, just not the amount that gets you limited out in two hours :mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts