Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also think that #4 shot with a modified choke is the best all around for Hevi-shot or Bismuth. I am trying my best to duplicate the performance we used to get from Federal Premium #4 copper plated lead in the good old days. I will be patterning Bismuth and Hevi-shot in the next couple of weeks but right now I shoot #6 in the early morning, #4 when the shot gets to 40-50 yards and I keep a pocketful of #BBs and try like heck to reload quickly if we have geese working. The #4s are O.K. on the geese. Since the Hevi-Shot (slightly heavier by volume than lead) and Bismuth (slightly lighter) are supposed to closely duplicate lead you might try a full choke if you are pass shooting and not hunting over decoys. I have not dusted off my full chokes since we started shooting steel but would do so if I was pass shooting.

·
Registered
70 Posts
just patterned my 11-87

3" #4 hevishot

i went hunting sun and wiffed a few real easy shots....

i had ( and i stress had ) improved cylinder in the gun.....when patterned this afternoon i doubled the number of pellets in a 2 foot circle at 35 yards when i switched to mod

amazing what checking your choke will do

cant wait to go out again now that i've resolved the (i hope) problem

it's never the guy behind the gun....hahahehe

·
Registered
591 Posts
4's would be ok, but not great, for the closer (35yards or so)shots at geese and most shots at ducks. There is really no need to go bigger than 2's even for Geese. Within 60 yards you should be able to drop any Goose you center in your pattern. Modified would probaly be the choke, depending on how it shoots from your particular gun.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The #4 Hevi shot load has taken everything from ducks to a swan in my hunts. It is one of the greatest all around choices for waterfowl hunting. I really wish it wasn't so expensive because I wouldn't even look back at steel or lead. Now, other companies are catching on to the "heavier than lead" loads. I guess I have no complaints about that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I switched to hevi shot as well this year and really like what I have seen so far. I am a huge believer in patterning your gun reguardless of what you use. I have a Benelli SBE and it shot steel and hevi shot terribly until I got a patternmaster choke and then it was like a different gun. I also got a Cabelas hevi shot choke and it is just as good and half the cost.
I am shooting 3" #4's and have used 3 1/2 " #2 for geese. But I have to say that if they are coming in close the steel is working pretty well with the new choke.

·
Registered
29 Posts
gilmore1011 said:
I switched to hevi shot as well this year and really like what I have seen so far. I am a huge believer in patterning your gun reguardless of what you use. I have a Benelli SBE and it shot steel and hevi shot terribly until I got a patternmaster choke and then it was like a different gun. I also got a Cabelas hevi shot choke and it is just as good and half the cost.
I am shooting 3" #4's and have used 3 1/2 " #2 for geese. But I have to say that if they are coming in close the steel is working pretty well with the new choke.
how much shot do you use???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.