Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
By far the most user friendly call I've used came from Steve at
http://www.takeoff.to/waterfowlcallsbygoose
I've got a cocobola call from him.....great volume, tone and range. This call takes very little air to operate. My wife had never used a goose call if any type, but was getting very good sounds out of this call with-in minutes. I highly recommend his calls to anyone. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
My first question would be, what type of call do you want? Basically there are shortreed and flute calls. Flutes are very easy to learn, and the Big River Long Honker flute is a good one. The shortreeds take a little more work but are definitely worth it in my opinion (not to mention they're less bulky). The Winglock that was mentioned is a great call along with the Zink poly PC-1. The Canada Hammer II is also a very good call in my opinion... and for $20 it's a steal. If you are just starting out and like that call, then buy it. All of those calls are under $35 which is a nice price for someone just getting into goose calling and I wouldn't hesitate to use them in the blind.

Also pick yourself up a good video like Honker Talk by Shawn Stahl or cd like Breakthrough II by Dave Smith. Those will help you pick up the basic sounds quickly which are necessary to get down before going onto the more advanced stuff, you will be able to tell when you are ready to try new stuff. The one thing I would not do is start with a flute, then try a shortreed. I would start with a shortreed right off the bat as the flute and shortreed are blown differently. Good luck man! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Duck calls are really pretty easy to learn IMO... goose calls are little more difficult. Flutes are, with a few exceptions, blown by using air from your mouth (actually blowing air from your mouth). Shortreeds are blown very similarly to a duck call... force air from your diaphram, not blow air from your mouth. If you puff up your cheeks and blow a duck call, it sounds like a party horn, right? Same thing with a shortreed, but with a flute you get goose! It's a personal preference, but you will get more sounds out of a shortreed.

Shortreeds may take a little more work than a duck call, but that's all part of the fun.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would have to agree that goose calls are going to be a little more difficult than duck calls to learn. IMO if you just want a goose call to go out and hunt with and straight out of the box performance i would just get a flute. If u want to put some time into learning how to be a top knotch caller and be AWESOME in the feild i would get a short reed and practice everyday until season starts. Flutes are easy to learn and get the job done in most situations but a short reed opens up your possiblities. Good luck in whatever way you choose to go! :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.