Duck Hunting Forum banner

Good Luck!

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  RangerX 
#1 ·
Well, the wait is over! Good luck to everybody this weekend! Be safe and hammer it to em :hammer: ! Post some pictures if you have a successful weekend or tell us about how some guy set up a 100 yards from you 5 minutes before shooting time and skyblasted everything in sight :lol3: Also, I heard there are 10,000 mallards on little otter so tell your cousin, cousins friend and their friends too!!!

#3 ·
You laugh. I drove up from Connecticut to hunt the spot mentioned above. Got there at 4 a.m. had the place to ourselves until 6 a.m. Then 3 groups of hacks showed put and set up all around us as close as 60 yards (not to mention directly across canal from us). I was hollering at them to move and they did not make a squeak. After being showered on by pellets all morning, we decided to take our 2 man limit of puddlers and leave. Amazing that hacks think they can take birds down at 100 yards with their full chokes and 3.5" magnums, unbelievable. As we pull up to the launch we see the group whom set up right on us being ticketed by the conservation officer! All negative ranting aside, I will never miss a VT opener again.

#5 ·
We had a nice, hassle free, opening weekend.

With the opener on a Saturday the parking lot was, as predicted, absolutely loaded. My dad, my oldest son and I unloaded and paddled out to a decent spot (wish the water was a little higher to make getting into the grass easier), set out the decoys and tucked in.

Took my first ever drake & female woody combo. They were in a decent sized group, passed over once and circled back in and I fired 3 shots and dropped the combo. Lots and lots of shooting all around. Ducks were pretty well stirred up and done flying by 8am or so.

Sunday morning was nice and quiet, shot 2 teals at first light and that was it.

Good times with family, that's what's most important to me. :beer:

#7 ·
Had a decent weekend, lots of geese around. Hunted champlain didn't see as many ducks as I would have liked and what ducks we saw weren't very workable. Ended up with 9 geese, a black, and 5 teal Saturday and a 4 man limit of geese, 2 mallards, and a scoter Sunday. Looking forward to hammerin the geese while they are around until duck opens back up again.

Attachments

#8 ·
Had an unexpected day. Got to the ramp...no one there. Went to my spot..no one there. Began to wonder if I had the day right. Ducks were not abundant but I was able to scratch out a limit. Only other person I saw was a guide running two clients around jump shooting at 2:00 PM in the afternoon.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hunted near St. Albans for opener and had 2 ringnecks, wood duck(getting mounted), teal, black and a mallard by 730. They were pouring into the decoys 10 mins before shooting time and hanging around quacking which was wicked exciting.

Before the lake season closed, killed 4 mallards from mallets bay. Since then I've been hunting interior, seeing ringneck, blacks and scoters around. Killed 3 coots a ringneck and a scoter yesterday. Missed on a pair of buffleheads when I hunted over a long line.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445564242.677762.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445564177.901850.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445564150.881407.jpg

Attachments

#14 ·
Tench! How are ya old boy? Are you done with groovy u-vey or have one more year?

HJF: Great haul!

I should have scouted Champlain a before the opener, I showed up with my 16' center console duck boat ("Corn Pone") and ran aground trying to be clever and launch out of Converse and head over to the Slang. Water so low I bagged the opener and am now stalking small ponds on foot. Had fun last weekend with my oldest son, had a 1 mile hike into this little pond we found on the satelite image, snuck up to the water and saw 3 ducks. Let my boy try to stalk them and they gave him the slip. No ducks but good time and lots of hiking to prepare for deer season :beer:

#16 ·
Lavman said:
Tench! How are ya old boy? Are you done with groovy u-vey or have one more year?

HJF: Great haul!

I should have scouted Champlain a before the opener, I showed up with my 16' center console duck boat ("Corn Pone") and ran aground trying to be clever and launch out of Converse and head over to the Slang. Water so low I bagged the opener and am now stalking small ponds on foot. Had fun last weekend with my oldest son, had a 1 mile hike into this little pond we found on the satelite image, snuck up to the water and saw 3 ducks. Let my boy try to stalk them and they gave him the slip. No ducks but good time and lots of hiking to prepare for deer season :beer:
bummer, did you hit ground at the delta out lewis? I haven't been down there yet, figured no way I was getting the SeaArk out there this year.

#17 ·
Ranger: The launch at Converse is when I hit bottom, the end of the dock is dredged out but once you are about 20' from the end of the dock headed towards the mouth of the bay the bottom comes up fast. I had to put on the waders and push the boat out. When we got to the mouth of the slang we could see bare ground and people portaging a canoe and kayak out of the mouth of little otter, the delta at the mouth of the slang looked the same - bare ground.

Had some luck Sunday though!
img host

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.