Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about buying a tim grounds half breed call. Is it a good call?What do you think is the best call he makes?

G

·
The half breed is an alright call, but one of the trickiest to blow around if you ask me. For his higher end calls I like the Super Mag, but it depends on your blowing style.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Super Mag a very nice call, but I like the Foiles SMH, and the Taylor Talker Premium honker better. Zinks calls are very nice as well but a little harder to learn to blow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go with the Grounds half breed, I have two of them on my lanyard. One tuned for long distance and one for when they are in close. Heres a pic from one of our hunts. For fifty bucks, you cant go wrong. As far as calling on it, its not bad. Say uuuu!! with alot of pressure while experimenting with the way you have your hands cupped.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Big River - Long Honker

Glynn Scobey

I have these as my top two calls - both are on my lanyard - each has different tone and can be used at different times in the call sequences - they are easy to learn to use and very versatile as you become more experienced using them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Big River calls hav been great for me. They are easy to blow and not too expensive. First day of early season 22 birds died to their sweet sound.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
you can pick up a halfbreed on ebay for like $15-20. I picked up a tim grounds clearly the goosetalk for $20 shipped to me and I really like it so far.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't like the half breed. I sound like crap on it. If you can "drive" it, go for it. I like Tims Super Mag better. The Poly mag is good and has a better price tag on it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought a Half-breed last year and it's already out of tune, I sent it to Tim he tuned it, sent it back and the same thing happened again. It my be me, not sure. Probably so. Tricky call, but sounds good when in tune.
Big River flutes sound good if your a begginer. If you want a short read H.S. Struit makes a decent call. If you want to spend some money Foiles SMH $150 or B&W Bull Barrel $125. That's what I blow. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a Grounds HG 007 short reed and they're hard to beat. Like all goose calling it takes practice, but you'll produce the sounds you want. Now, if we can just get some geese to move south again!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Although I don't call much I like "clearly the goose talk" call by Tim grounds it's really easy to blow so you can't mess up if you've ever used a call. It also works great even in cold weather that can mess up other calls. My cousin also likes it and he's been calling for a several years he wants to get one himself now. Happy Hunting :getdown:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts