Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gentlemen:

I am requesting your knowledgeable help and assistance with the following components, some of which I have and some of which do not have:

1) 3" Remington Nitro Hulls fired once (inside base shows to be yellow plastic) - have
2) Alliant Steel powder - have
3) Federal 209A primers - have
4) #B steel shot for geese - have
5) No shotshell cups nor wads - do not have

Purpose: I am looking to make up a box of B's for the upcoming 2022-2023 season for geese.
What are your recommendations as to the best shotcups/wads needed and maybe some powder weights for Alliant Steel?
Thanks!
Frodo

Attachments

· Registered
1,351 Posts
Reloading Specialities Sam1 wad would allow you to make several published loads from 1 oz to 1.25 oz.
And depending on what gun you're using, the CSD or LBC wads from ballistic products would work.

Make sure you use a scale for the powder.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim,

Thanks for the input.

What amount of shot do you personally use for geese?
I am leaning toward 1 1/4 oz.
I would be shoot these out of a semiautomatic.
The place I hunt doesn't have geese regularly, but occasionally they do appear so I'd like to be prepared.

P.S. I have Ballistic Products 'Status of Steel' reloading book, but don't really see a recipe for Number 1 shot.
Am I overfiguring this process?
Frodo

· Registered
1 Posts
Gentlemen:

I am requesting your knowledgeable help and assistance with the following components, some of which I have and some of which do not have:

1) 3" Remington Nitro Hulls fired once (inside base shows to be yellow plastic) - have
2) Alliant Steel powder - have
3) Federal 209A primers - have
4) #B steel shot for geese - have
5) No shotshell cups nor wads - do not have

Purpose: I am looking to make up a box of B's for the upcoming 2022-2023 season for geese.
What are your recommendations as to the best shotcups/wads needed and maybe some powder weights for Alliant Steel?
Thanks!
Frodo
You need specific wads for steel shot, such as those made by Ballistic Products, which are thicker than wads for lead shot to protect the bore in your shotgun. I would also recommend BB shot as the minimum for geese. Shot weight and powder amount should come from loading manuals such as those provided by the powder supplier (Alliant) As steel shot of these sizes do not meter well with normal shot bars, I use empty primer trays filled with the exact quantity that makes up the required weight.
F.B., Portersville, Pa.

· Registered
God, Family, Community, WATERFOWL HUNTING
82 Posts
You can find non-tox/steel wads that will work with those components from Ballistic Products and Precision Reloading. There are a number of options in wads from each company and both do offer load data. For example, a TPS wad from Ballistic Products will accommodate 1-1/4oz of #B steel shot and be able to be pushed to 1,400 FPS in the Remington hull using the Steel Powder (most likely a starting charge of 28 to 30gr), and your primer will be suitable for the loads listed (if not directly called out, reduce the powder charge further and work up.

The TPS 3" wads are currently on sale, so I'd say give them a go. Personally having used the 10ga variant a bit, I can attest that they are pretty darn good:

Ultimately, I would try to stay in the 1-1/4oz payload range at a minimum muzzle velocity of 1,350 FPS. Payloads of 1-1/8oz to 1-1/4oz at 1,350 to 1,450 FPS of #B steel have sufficient energy and penetration to reliably dispatch Canada geese at 45 yards and less. 50 yards will be the outer limit and I would not recommend that sort of a "poke", and that is considering you have a very good IM or Full pattern being used. I have utilized #B Steel in my 1-5/8oz 10ga Steel loads that leave the muzzle at 1,425 FPS on both Geese and Ducks and I was pleased with the results for a steel pellet (I use Airgun shot, so it is technically a "#B+" or "#B.5" in size and weight), but for Greater Canadas or big fat resident honkers I wouldn't use it past 45 yards.

I hope this helps you out!

· Registered
1,351 Posts
I'd go with 1.25 oz of #B shot, though a lot of guys like 1-3/16 (520 grains). Not a lot of difference, but you can get a faster load (1550 vs 1400) if that's your thing.
If you can get win209 primers, a 1400-1450 load is a layup with just about any steel wad and 35ish grains of powder. The fed209a will develop more pressure, so you start with less powder, but you'll still be in th same fps land.
Lyman 5th has several loads for the rem nitro steel hull, as does the rsi manual. But I'd avoid bpi data--just too many questionable loads over the years.

My go to 3" load is:
12 ga 3" Remington hull with yellow basewad
Win209
35 g A. STEEL
CSD118
1.25 oz #1 or #3 steel

I use the 3" Fed .090 hull and an LBC wad for larger shot.

· Registered
9 Posts
I use the 3" Fed .090 hull and an LBC wad for larger shot.
Why the different wad and hull for larger shot? Is it the LBC being thicker? And more volume of the federal hull?

I definitely agree with BPI data, I've had several tested and they were well over SAAMI (2,000 + psi over). Not to mention those that don't fit with their recipe.

· Registered
1,351 Posts
Why the different wad and hull for larger shot? Is it the LBC being thicker? And more volume of the federal hull?

I definitely agree with BPI data, I've had several tested and they were well over SAAMI (2,000 + psi over). Not to mention those that don't fit with their recipe.
Bigger hull has more volume, and makes for a better fit. And I just like the LBC with #BBB better.

· Registered
743 Posts
The Alliant powder online reloaders guide has some steel shot loads listed for the 3" Remington hull with Federal 209A primers and Alliant Steel powder. Three 1.125 loads (One of which is with the dicontinued Ballistic Products Multimetal wad) and one 1.25 load.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Me dear mother from the Shire would be amazed to hear the words I've said while trying to find this shotshell wad.
First, it was shown as being discontinued(last few days)
Today, it is back on the shelves.

I still don't see the load for 1 1/4 oz. using the Remington Nitro hull.
Oh well, 1 1/8 oz. I guess it will be.
May it be an evening star shines down on you!
Cheers Gandalf!

Attachments

· Registered
22 Posts
Me dear mother from the Shire would be amazed to hear the words I've said while trying to find this shotshell wad.
First, it was shown as being discontinued(last few days)
Today, it is back on the shelves.

I still don't see the load for 1 1/4 oz. using the Remington Nitro hull.
Oh well, 1 1/8 oz. I guess it will be.
May it be an evening star shines down on you!
Cheers Gandalf!
It’s here:

Best of luck with it.

· Registered
6,239 Posts
Most all loads will do what you ask , if you do just one thing , allow the bird to get within range and center punch
its azz with the proper size pellet ! With so many different recipes of store bought ammo on the market , it's the
advertising marketing hype with colorful boxes that catch most shooters eye's !

· Registered
1,351 Posts
I noticed the Allaint powder online reloaders guide has the 3" Remington hull 1 1/8 steel load with the Ballistic Products Multi-Metal wad listed as using Federal small rifle primers. Must be a typo.
Everyone goes on about making sure to follow published recipes for shotshell loading... if they put a 5 in place of a 9 for the primer, how do we know they didn't for the powder charge? There was a thread on SGW where someone suggested a sticky for unpublished tested loads, but it was decided that folks couldn't trust that typos hadn't happened etc.
I maintain that unquestioningly following a recipe is just as bad as not following one at all. You MUST use your brain.

· Registered
9 Posts
The folks on SGW have no sense of adventure, ;-) with the results Precision Reloading gives you, it would take more than 1 or 2 typos to be anymore questionable than the load.

It's sad to see how uncommon common sense is anymore. There will always be mistakes made, i sure make my share.

· Registered
743 Posts
I've got physical copy of the 2014 Alliant reloader's guide and it is listed as a Federal 209A for that load in there.

I do know that small rifle primers are not compatible with shotshell hulls. I just noticed the discrepancy and thought it was odd.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gentlemen:

Glad that I could break the ice and start you fine fellow hobbits having a dialogue again.

Seriously.....does anyone have about 25 of these 'TUPPERWARE123' wads and the same amount of felt undershot spacers that would possibly sell me? As I was saying, the place I hunt may have a dozen or so speckbellies every 2 to 3 years, sometimes a few Canadians will show up. I just don't think I need 100 wads which is the PrecReload minimum.

Thanks again for your consideration and fine responses!
Frodo Bags'Em

P.S. The next time we meet at the Green Dragon, the rounds are on me.

· Registered
1,351 Posts
Gentlemen:

Glad that I could break the ice and start you fine fellow hobbits having a dialogue again.

Seriously.....does anyone have about 25 of these 'TUPPERWARE123' wads and the same amount of felt undershot spacers that would possibly sell me? As I was saying, the place I hunt may have a dozen or so speckbellies every 2 to 3 years, sometimes a few Canadians will show up. I just don't think I need 100 wads which is the PrecReload minimum.

Thanks again for your consideration and fine responses!
Frodo Bags'Em

P.S. The next time we meet at the Green Dragon, the rounds are on me.
Just buy the 100. You can always use then in a duck load, right? And you could easily burn up a pile patterning.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts