Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
YES

Basically it is Teflon. There are different brands like Fowl Tech (Herters), etc... they all seem to work--the key are the seams though--if they are not done properly it'll leak.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I would not buy any other boot than the ones that have gortex. Keeping your feet dry is important to me.

I chose not to wear gortex pants because they never seem to get wet. I do plan on getting a new gortex coat this year though. Anyone have any suggestions? It has to be MAX4HD, has to match the new gun! :salude:

·
Registered
100 Posts
OL weeds testimonial... i was out ridin my bicycle in the rain once...i was wearin a gortex pants and jacket...got it covered in mud... from the rear bike tire... so at that time i went to the carwash to wash everything... had my old lady spray me down while wearin my goretex clothes.... figured this would be a good test... i couldnt believe it....even with the carwash sprayin direct on me and hard too....never got a drop inside....dryyyyyyyyy *S*... works great...just dont tear it.... youll cry... LOL...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
goretex is pretty good but not 100% waterproof.if its raining for a couple hours your gonna get wet. i am not talking about a down pour. just a steady rain.only way to stay dry is a rain suit.also the older goretex gets it doesnt seem to work as well either.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I agree with Donell on this one, Gortex that is a few years old will start to leak. I have some Gortex waders that leak very slowly but they are a few years old.

·
Registered
13,908 Posts
Gortex is a fantastic invention. The ability to repel water while letting your body's natural moisture escape is the key to real comfort. I have some leather upland hunting boots with gortex and I am still amazed that I can walk for hours through dewy fields and have dry feet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
old gor-tex leaks because its been washed in detergent soap or been wadded up or folded up too many times. the membrane cracks. I have a coat that i'm pretty careful with (washed when dirty with a cleaner made for gor-tex and then sprayed with a waterproofer also made for the new breathable rain gear) and the only place it gets wet is where it leaks in around the neck and wrists. (being dirty also makes em leak.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bug spray that contains deet also breaks down the glue that holds the GORE-TEX to the fabric, so get some gear and clothing repellant if you are hunting on buggy days, it lasts a while, so you don't need to apply it every time. Besides that GORE-TEX is MONEY!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
98ramtough you asked for suggestions on a new goretex coat so here it is. My wife just bought me a Cabelas Brush Buster 4in1 wading jacket in Max4 for Christmas. Just came in today and man is it sweet! Every piece is goretex which is cool feature and only cost $199. I can't wait to get in a blind on a nasty day :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts