Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a chance to go down to Montreal this afternoon to the hunting and fishing expo - awesome. Including a stop at the shop that had the Hammerdowns I was asking about on sale, I got a chance to try every SR I was interested in.

The Hammerdown Havoc did not impress me. I passed on it, and headed to the city. At the show, I got to try calls from Foiles, Grounds, GK, Recall Designs, and my personal favorite, Zink.

I have been in the market for a faster, higher pitched SR to compliment my SR-1, which I have tuned very low. The main two I was looking at were the Money Maker and the GK Canuck. I tried these, as well as the Little Man, Staight Meat Honker, Super Magnum, and a couple nice wood calls made by Recall Design - a local call maker.

The SMH was a nice call - I liked the feel of it in my hands, and it was really loud. The sweet spot was easy to break consistently once I found it. The Canuck took quite a bit of air to break over, and I didn't care for it much - my problem is that I am spoiled by the Paralyzer...it is almost too easy to blow. The Recall Designs were very sharp, all made from exotic woods, but they were tough to break, and didn't really have a raspy sound - odd for wood. The Super Mag was a nice call, but the Zinks won me over. I tried the wood and acrylic MM, and the acrylic Little Man. The lows were insanely easy to sustain on the LM, and the range was very impressive. The MM was the big winner, having a perfect combination of everything I like about Zink calls - great range, nice low, fast breaks, and insanely easy to blow. Out of eveything I tried today, I would rate the wooden MM as my preference, followed by the acrylic MM, then the LM, then the SMH.

I had a ball down there today - now I just have to track down a wooden MM - the ones they had there were demos only.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Did you try a showtime? That is next on my list. I have a SMH, HPH and MH.

I just got a MM and love it and was wondering about the LM. What was the tone, speed and volume like between the LM and the MM?

I tuned the MM just a little deeper than it came and it is still fast with great range. I found if I cover the bell with my ring and pinky finger and just open and close my middle finger over the rest of the bell in the cup of my hand and I can choke the volume right down for close work and still have all kinds of range and speed. I can also open my hand up all the way and just wail on it and it runs just as good. Awesome call!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not sure if you have any sportsmans warehouse stores around you there but they made some numbered wooden MM's for them last year but it was only a run of 150 but you may get lucky and some of the stores might have one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not sure if you have any sportsmans warehouse stores around you there but they made some numbered wooden MM's for them last year but it was only a run of 150 but you may get lucky and some of the stores might have one.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thaner said:
Did you try a showtime? That is next on my list. I have a SMH, HPH and MH.

I just got a MM and love it and was wondering about the LM. What was the tone, speed and volume like between the LM and the MM?

I tuned the MM just a little deeper than it came and it is still fast with great range. I found if I cover the bell with my ring and pinky finger and just open and close my middle finger over the rest of the bell in the cup of my hand and I can choke the volume right down for close work and still have all kinds of range and speed. I can also open my hand up all the way and just wail on it and it runs just as good. Awesome call!
The ones I tried had been tuned by the Zink rep at the show. The LM was higher, but they were close enough that I couldn't tell any diference on speed and volume - maybe a slight speed edge to the LM. What I did find odd was that even though the LM was higher, it was easier to sustain the low on it than the MM - probably due to the more constricted bell on the LM. I just picked up a LM-1 today off another board, and will compliment my Paralyzer with it. I will probably still get a Coco MM anyway, however, to use over water and to just sit and stare it - it was the nicest looking and sounding call I have ever held.

Cavy - I found a shop in Ontario that actually sells them. I plan to buy one this summer when I get back from char guiding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.