Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you use your gsp for waterfowl and upland? How do they take to the cold weather? I have been tossin around the idea of getting a gsp and didnt know how they would take to the water sports.
Thanks for your imput

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
I don't have a GSP and never have but, I have hunted over a couple of em' in the Duck blind. They're good until it gets cold. They just aren't made for cold weather Waterfowlin'.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'll second Brydog's comment but once again this is just based on one dog that is owned by a guy that I hunt with and not based on any true knowledge of the breed overall.

His GSP is an outstanding dog until the weather gets cold - a real pleasure to hunt with.

When the water gets cold the dog refuses to get in - he let's us know when he's done for the year! :yes:

·
Registered
811 Posts
A concern, for me, would be that a high-drive dog would continue to work for you, past the point where his safety becomes a real concern. Obviously, you have to be the brains of the outfit, regardless of what kind of dog you have, and shut him down when conditions are too extreme.

My Golden (a breed reputed to be unenthusiastic about cold water) goes out to the beach in some pretty cruel cold and wind. He'll lie in the shallow water whining for another bumper, while he's vibrating like a paint mixing machine. He'd just keep going out until the time that he couldn't make it back in. On brutal days, I drive him to the beach in my car so I have someplace to get him out of the wind--even though I only live 500 ft. from the beach. Ya just can't trust a dog to have sense about these things.

No different with a GSP, but you have to pay even stricter attention to their condition in cold water.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have personally used and trained countless shorthairs. A shorthair was my first dog and I choose the breed due to the fact that I was in florida at the time and wanted an upland dog that could handle the heat.

I agree with everything above, although I havent seen all that many that had the amount of drive that wuzza mentioned. If you are looking for a versatile and plan on doing more waterfowling I would look into a wirehair or DD(my personal favourite) or at least something with a longer coat.

Although the DD is my favourite and I have had him/her out in EVERYTHING they are not the way to go for a new trainer or casual hunter.

This breed is where I see the NEVER ending drive.

When I switched from my shorthair to the DD I told everyone I had to have a ecollar to train the shorthairs to go--I have the ecollar now to the DDs back.

·
Registered
233 Posts
DD stands for Drahthaar, but why is there a problem with keeping them inside?---Believe it or not they she considerably less than shorthairs.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
my cousin uses his up here in the cold, and its not a problem. as long as you make sure that it has a vest that fits well and towel it off after water retrives, it should be good to go :thumbsup:

i however will be getting either a gwp or dd instead here before too long :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I hunt with a guy who has a GSP, and the thing is awesome on upland. Cold weather waterfowling he is not good for at all. As an example, we went on a duck hunt the day after Thanksgiving with my lab and his GSP clad in an Avery neoprene vest. We kept his dog out of the water as much as we could, and in about an hour and a half he had to take him to the truck where he spent the rest of the day because he was too cold. It was about 20 degrees and snowing on and off all day.

I know jjohnson you swear by those GSP's, but what I've seen duckhunting with one in cold weather they don't hold up. They are meant to run and are not intended to sit still for extended periods in cold weather. Swimming in cold weather is definitely out of the question.

If you want a dog to waterfowl hunt I would suggest looking into another breed.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you are looking for a good dog price should be last on your list. First find a breed, then find what characteristics you want in your dog, then find a REPUTABLE breeder, then ask price.

·
Registered
112 Posts
love the GSP'S. I have 2. We live down on the Texas coast so cold is high 20's low 30's. I have had mine in this ,and found out it is no problem IF 1. you have your vest altered to fit (the vest are made for labs, find someone to custom fit) 2. Keep a bumper out and about every 30 minutes are so toss one and let the dog go get it. I have yet to see a duck flare from a dog swimming through the deks. More times than not they almost land on their heads. You have to keep the pup moving every 30 minutes are so. Living that far up north I would look into a DD. As much as I love my pups nothing competes with a lab in the extreme cold. I am considering getting one for that reason and they make great flushing dogs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a GSP for duck hunting. You definatly have to take precautions using them in cold weather. I live in Michigan and have had her out in the water untill late december. Sometimes not by choice. She has so much drive cold water won't stop her. But when the weather gets really cold ( below 25-30 degress) I rely totally on my lab.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One more thought. Indoor dog vs outdoor dog. My dog is an outdoor dog. As the weather gets colder her coat gets thicker. Cold weather conditioning helps her be able to hunt later in the season than if she were an indoor dog.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
gsp said:
love the GSP'S. I have 2. We live down on the Texas coast so cold is high 20's low 30's. I have had mine in this ,and found out it is no problem IF 1. you have your vest altered to fit (the vest are made for labs, find someone to custom fit) 2. Keep a bumper out and about every 30 minutes are so toss one and let the dog go get it. I have yet to see a duck flare from a dog swimming through the deks. More times than not they almost land on their heads. You have to keep the pup moving every 30 minutes are so. Living that far up north I would look into a DD. As much as I love my pups nothing competes with a lab in the extreme cold. I am considering getting one for that reason and they make great flushing dogs.
YO GSP - How's hunting been in the Golden Triangle as of late? We grew up hunting I10 San Jacinto River area. Used to be clouds of birds - I don't see that up here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking to get my first dog this summer, im big into duck hunting and i want a good dog to hunt along with. I like labs and the way they hunt but i want something different, i have my eye on a gsp and im doubtful because everyone says they arent good duck hunting dogs. I really love the dog i just read good and bad things about their skills in cold waterfowl hunts.

·
Administrator
42,450 Posts
CameronWyatt said:
Looking to get my first dog this summer, im big into duck hunting and i want a good dog to hunt along with. I like labs and the way they hunt but i want something different, i have my eye on a gsp and im doubtful because everyone says they arent good duck hunting dogs. I really love the dog i just read good and bad things about their skills in cold waterfowl hunts.
You should type GSP in the search box and sort through lots of threads of opinions and experiences at your leisure.

Why do you want something "different"?

Why do you want a Pointer for duck hunting instead of a Retriever?

The typical Pointer coat isn't favorable to cold water or at least much of it.

How many ways do you want to start behind the curve for a duck dog?

Ever trained a Lab or a GSP to "work"?

BTW - I love GSP's so am not a breed snob. Just a breeding one. :lol3:

·
Registered
77 Posts
A friend just got his German Wiredhaired pointer back from training. He live in MT and will be trying the dog in cold weather; this season. I haven't seen any evidence of the dog have issue with cold; and he differently have a very thick coat. Seem to be a really good bird dog so far. Might look into something like that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.