Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
My son has killed one with a 20 using 2's. But again they were over decoys at 15 yards. Make sure you know the range and are confident in taking a high quality shot. No reason why a 20 will not kill a goose at the right range.

·
Registered
40 Posts
:withstupid: I shot a 20 ga. for 2 years at geese and shot plenty :thumbsup: at ranges up to 45 yards although I wouldn't shoot any farther. (be prepared to shoot crips if you jump a pond dam) Then I bought my 12ga. because the 20 was getting a lot of use year round. But if you aim on hunting other birds like pheasant, quail, ect. go with the 20 for sure 12 is to much power on those birds.

P.S. If you dont have a bunch of money to spend but still want a good 20 ga. go with the Browning BPS :salude:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
First goose my little brother ever shot was with a 20 gauge using 6s. Of course they were only 10 yards high. Like any other gun know your limitations. I just bought an 870 Express Magnum 20 gauge to kill ducks, geese, and turkeys with. 12 gauge is way too easy for me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
dukhnter7 said:
I hunt with a guy that will pull out his .410 if they are decoying right. He usually gets his limit.
Were does he buy his Non-Toxic Shot or does he reload?

A few years back, Wild Fowl had an article about a guy in Canada that shot Ducks and Geese with a .410!

Any Shotgun will work, Like Most said, You first need to know your limits! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
327 Posts
my firts year i hunted ducks and geese with a 12ga.... i have heard many people shooting geese with 20ga, but in my opinion if ur gonna shoot a 20ga with 3 inch shells, then just get a cheap 12ga and shoot 2 3/4 shells. The benelli nova is a great lightweight gun that will take abuse and is really cheap, me my self it is my 3rd year of waterfowl hunting and i am shooting a 10ga browning bps. i absolutely love it. i shoot BBB for geese and i shoot 3 shot for ducks.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Hey waterfowler, a daughter that goose hunts! How old is she :laughing: Just kidding. I think it is great thay you have a daughter that will go hunting w/ you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.