Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Boy Carp it has been tough for me. We did well from the week before Thanbksgiving through the next wed., but not since the thaw. I have talked to guys that are killing a few out in the airboats but boy I am sure not. Sundays hunt I had three drake mallards circle the blocks but I just could not get the spookey things to commit I must have circled them five times. Then a hen came in and landed I let her fly away aside from the great common sawbill, and hords of swans. I saw nothing else. I expect it to pick up when things cool back down. I see you are doing some whackin'.
Bret

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did well tell the thaw hit. Last Saturday I got one gadwall and I didnt even shoot it. I was half a sleep in the decoys, and I had some people set up about 500 to 600 yards from me. Well they shot which woke me up and a minute or two later a gaddie lands in the blocks dead as dead. So I take the bird over to them and they claim they were shooting at mallards and that they flew another direction. :help: Im so good the ducks just die before they get to me.

Im heading out to FS this Saturday with the boys. I will report back on how we did. I dont expect a fast hunt though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Honer, I've been with Carp on a couple of those hot shoots. To be honest we've ranged all over the state. We've been out in the uintah basin to the southern part of the state. Different tactics for different spots, we've had a dozen or less decoys on a river to almost 300 on a large bay. One thing we do is to scout out where the birds are working heavy, see how many there are and then try and match the flock size. Biggest issue this year has been cover. With the low water levels we've hunted out of coffins quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.